How To Be Single And Happy When Everyone's Getting Married

I'm A Single 25-Year-Old In A World Obsessed With Weddings And I'm OK With Being The Bridesmaid

Love your life the way it is, as a single woman!!

674

It's 2019 and you're STILL single!!! You keep seeing post after post on Facebook or Instagram of new engagements or weddings of high school and college friends. At this rate, it feels like you are going to end up like Katherine Heigl in "27 Dresses."

As a 25-year-old in the midst of graduate school graduation, I know exactly how you feel! I even just bought my third bridesmaid dress in three years... did I say it's my third?! Does anyone want to start a bridesmaid dress prom? If so, count me in.

We live in a world where weddings and love stories are plastered on every social media, reality show and regular television. People live for love stories and weddings these days. For example, "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" have become more and more popular. I have to admit even I have fallen into their trap!

But we have to think, is this even real? For all we know these shows could all be scripted. What happened to Rosie the Riveter and women's empowerment!? That's what we should be focused on instead of sobbing on our couches thinking about how single we are.

This is something I have been seriously struggling with recently. So how do you find a way to be a strong independent woman that don't need no man in today's world? Here are the answers I have for you:

Gal Pals.

Having other single girlfriends definitely helps. It is easy to empower and uplift each other when you can relate. It's also great to not be a third or fifth wheel for once! My best single girlfriend is my travel partner and we have the most fun together just getting away and enjoying our friendship. Unfortunately, my single girlfriends are miles away, but this is 2019 and we have FaceTime (thank you, Steve Jobs!). Find your group of gal pals and form an unbreakable and fierce bond.

Stay Active.

The gym has seriously become my therapist y'all. I could not survive without the gym! A simple workout can change your entire day around and give you that energy boost. It is a great way to clear your mind and keep chugging along, toot toot! Being a broke graduate student, I stick with the Planet Fitness $10 a month deal doing my own workouts by myself. I've found it's easier to clear my mind when I'm alone with my music. Group classes can also help because you have that leader to motivate you through the workout. So next time you consider going to the gym, motivate yourself to go by using it for positive personal growth instead of in a negative light to lose weight!

Furry Friends.

OK so let's talk about those cute furry things we call pets. I don't know about y'all but I fully believe in therapy animals! My cat may not a certified therapy animal, but his love is so helpful. He gives me a reason to keep going and do things. I want to give him the best life I possibly can. Not to mention, he's adorable and purrs constantly! He cries when I leave and he's there to greet me when I come home... I mean, men don't even do that LOL! Animals will be there for you no matter what happened during your day.

Stay BUSY!

I cannot stress this enough. Have a schedule and stick to it. Hold yourself accountable! Spend less time thinking about what you could be doing and more time doing it.

I am in no way an expert on this topic as I am going through all of this myself, but these are some things that have really helped me get through the day, especially when it's one of those days where you just want to have a pity party for yourself! It's time to stop those pity parties and enjoy your life just the way it is.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.