Pros and Why it's OK to be Single in your 20s

Pros, because we're all tired of hearing about the cons of being single. Let me start off with this: You don't need to have your life figured out by your 20's, or by the time you're expected to graduate college. You don't need to have that degree your relatives keep asking you about or have moved into your own place, but most of all, there's no need for you to rush into a relationship or a marriage.

I'm always hearing about the cons of being single, like seeing all these happy couples around you and.. blah blah blah - I know you've heard it all too.

But it's time for me to give you some solid reasons why being single is great.

1. Independence

When you're single you have a sense of independence, whether that means doing things on your own without any supervision or simply learning things on your own. Now, for those who feel they aren't as independent as they wish, this is a great time to learn to work on your own!

2. More Time

As a college student, I'm sure you're already lacking time as it is. You might be spreading yourself out too thin for wanting to finish that 10-page paper, go to that party all your friends have been talking about, and also get a meaningful amount of sleep... now imagine having to find the time to be with your significant other all on the same day. Good luck.

You can take this time being single to be all about yourself, try new things you've wanting to do or just go get the sleep you've been dying for.

3. Get to know yourself

Take the time to learn everything there is to know about yourself. Explore your comfort zone and even push yourself to explore outside of it. Life is a learning experience and it's always a great idea to have your own back through it all.

4. You Don't Answer to Anyone

There are absolutely no restrictions for when you're single unless you put them there. Like my dad once said at the dinner table, "If you're single, you don't have to answer to anyone." There is nothing worse than hearing someone say, "Oh yeah, they don't let me do that." I'm sorry... WHAT?!

5. Less Stress

I'm a people pleaser to the max, so this hits me hard. I'm always out to make people laugh or happy overall, which means I'm either spending time with them or on the phone. One of the most stressful things, to me, is the sensation that time is running out or just not having any time at all. Since you're always out making sure everyone else is okay, it's time to focus on yourself. Being single may not make you any less of a people pleaser, but the sense of commitment and having to be there for a person won't be there.

6. Maybe You're just a Free Bird

You might be the type of person who rather have an open relationship, spontaneous partners, or even just avoid the title and that's OK. Everyone is different and knows what they want when it comes to having a partner. As long as you're happy and being SAFE about it.

7. No Distractions, Focus on your future

Ok, now we're talking about YOUR future. When we're reaching adulthood the pressure is on to know exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life. You have to have a plan and granted things don't always go as planned. You have to take on your life head first. Remember, no one is going to do your job for you! Everything you go through is preparing you what you've asked for. Build your future on a good foundation and don't let anyone distract you from what you want.

8. Freedom!

Let's face it, when you're single, you're more approachable. One of the best things about being single is also meeting new people and networking! You can seek new relationships/friendships and you're free to go out and be a social butterfly without feeling restrained or potentially creating problems with your partner!

Of course, I've been in a great relationship before, and I would never consider myself bitter, but I've always preferred being single. I'm just tired of seeing people my age feel a pressure to date or to get married "soon." There's no need for that.

At the end of the day, there's no reason for you to feel sorry for yourself (in any situation) or compare your happiness to those in a relationship as you shouldn't with anyone because attitudes, circumstances, and timing is different for everyone. You never know what that couple is going through and things aren't always as they seem.

Anyway, do you think 8 pros of being single was enough? I can definitely go on.