How To Love Yourself

How To Love Yourself

And your body!

8
How To Love Yourself
HuffingtonPost

The human anatomy is honestly one of the most perfected and fascinating "machines" we own, and unfortunately it's such a shame we spend 75% of our lives criticizing the work of art. Trust me, as a college student generally interested in science, I find it astounding how the human body is engineered... Yes, even the shapes we take on because of genetics. Also I am a 20-year-old young woman who's still trying to feel comfortable with her own anatomy; body acceptance isn't easy. There are parts of ourselves that we hate simply because we and others don't find it attractive. While we all can't be perfect, we CAN learn to enjoy and feel confident in our skin.

1. Stop comparing yourself to others

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT! Comparing yourself isn't going to get you any closer to self-acceptance. I've been there and it's a terrible road to go down. There's something beautiful about diversity and individuality, and I believe there is something special in everyone. Comparison isn't fair nor healthy. Every soul is different and beautiful in their own way... So are you. Never put yourself down because you don't have what the other girl has. Believe in yourself and become your number one fan, in this world honey, we could use all the love and support we can get. Give that to yourself. Become a living example of what a person who truly loves themselves looks like. Does beauty mean looking like everybody else? Of course not.

2. Radiate confidence

Even if your self esteem isn't all that great, trust me, faking it goes a long way. Think about it, if you're sick but you constantly tell yourself you're fine, the symptoms eventually subside much quicker... That my friend is the power of the human mind. Get into the habit of telling yourself everyday that you are gorgeous just the way you are, and soon you'll start believing in it. This habit won't take full effect over night, so be patient with yourself. I believe all women should own their flaws and celebrate diversity. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Don't be afraid to pamper yourself or try out new things once in a while! It actually increases the level of "feel good" hormones inside your body. Remember ladies, confidence is the hottest thing you can own, and someone is ALWAYS admiring you.

3. Take care of yourself

Who in the right mind would trade a burger for a salad right? Let's face it... As much as we'd rather stuff our faces with fries and chocolate milkshakes, too much of the sweet stuff is really bad for you. Now I'm not saying to completely refrain from the junk foods you love. The thing is to consume LESS. The harsh reality is that most of us don't like to exercise and all that fat builds up in our bodies. By simply managing your portions and exercising, you're doing a number of good things for your body! And trust me you'll thank yourself down the road. I personally recommend adding more organic foods into your diet and staying away from sugary drinks, also watch out for foods high in saturated and trans fats. These raise your bad cholesterol and increase your chances of getting heart disease.

4. Exercise

Before I really got into running, I wasn't really keen on exercise in general. I always made up excuses so I can sit on my couch watching Netflix while stuffing my face with whatever was available to me. I thoroughly remember going to the mall and crying my eyes out because I couldn't fit in a pair of skinny jeans. Even my doctor told me I was overweight. That was my breaking point. I changed my habits because my health was at risk, and I did it for myself so I can feel more confident when I try on clothes in the mall. I extremely encourage everyone to at least get active for their health, don't do it for anybody else but yourself. Exercising drops weight, increases metabolic rate, strengthens muscles and joints, and it alters your mood in positive ways.