How I Survived My First Semester of College

First Semester Sometimes Isn't Easy

77
Sennajandy

With finals behind me and winter break started; I finally feel like I can sit back, put up my feet, and relax. I do not have to worry about papers, assignments and tests for about a month. Break came at the perfect time, right when it was absolutely needed. A break gives me time to reflect on my semester and see all the fun I had, but also how proud I am that I made it. I started off my semester rough. My classes weren't necessarily hard, but I was incredibly homesick and full of anxiety all the time. I cannot describe the number of times I wanted to quit and move back home. I wanted to transfer and sometimes I questioned if I had chosen the right college. There were so many times I doubted myself and did not think I would make it to the end of the semester. I am so grateful for the things that helped me survive and succeed during my first semester of college.

I found the most comfort by getting plugged into the campus ministry Light Company. There I found people who loved Jesus like I do. People who are willing to pray for me and just be there for support when I need it. I made some great friends and I met people who keep me accountable. I connected with many other believers and found people who were struggling like me. I also again realized how I need to fully rely on God. The transition to college was so much tougher than I ever anticipated. I felt like I was never going to adjust and that basically my entire semester would feel like I was hanging on by a thread. Through Light Company, I continued to be able to find peace in Jesus. I got further connected by taking part in a connection group and having a prayer partner. I met with my prayer partner every single Monday and it was the best way to start off my week. It was so encouraging to have somebody praying for me throughout the week and somebody I could have encourage me when I needed it. I also joined a connection group that met on Tuesdays. This gave me more people to connect with and added more people to my support system. Having connection groups on Monday and Tuesday and then Light Company on Thursday made my weeks much better. I had things to look forward to especially when I had a rough day. By taking part in this, I feel like my faith grew.

I also would not have made it through had it not been for my friends. I know God put my friends in my life for a reason. He gave me people that I opened up to and built strong friendships with in just a matter of weeks. They were always there with a shoulder to cry on, laugh with me at stupid things, jam out to Lemonade Mouth and give me a hard time for my awkwardness. I already have made some memories that will last me a lifetime. They also helped me realize that I was not the only one struggling with adjusting. First semester is incredibly hard, but because I surrounded myself with friends it became much easier. Once we all finally adjusted we had a bond that I know will be lasting. Without these friends, I know I would have

I know that this semester was only possible, because of God. Through my doubts, fears, good times and bad he made this semester one that was unforgettable. I know that I am at the right school and I am excited to see what next semester and the rest of college brings.