How Moving Into My College Dorm Room Really Went

It did not feel like a movie.

36

After waiting in anticipation to move into my chosen college, the day finally came. From social media posts to Hollywood movies, you would think that moving into a dorm room is a walk in the park, but honestly, it was far from it. At least from my perspective, moving into my dorm room was a pain. From the shopping to the unpacking, my mother and I were exhausted after all that work. For one thing, we had to carry items like a mini-refrigerator and heavy boxes up the stairs. You are probably thinking that we could've taken the elevator, but unfortunately, that was not an option in my residence hall so we had to take the stairs and neither of us were happy with that.

Imagine yourself carrying everything and sweat drips from your forehead. Thank goodness we finished unpacking in one piece because it wouldn't have been pretty otherwise. Excluding the time spent looking for our location, it took around an hour or so from start to finish to unpack everything. There was a time limit, and because I had to get back to my home town for an appointment, I couldn't set up my dorm that same day. We didn't even make the bed, because it would collect dust over a couple of weeks (you know allergies).

Fast forward to 2.5 weeks earlier, and there was more stuff to carry upstairs. My mother and I packed more clothes and other items I needed leading up to the official move-in date. The 3.5 hour drive was not a real problem, but then came the daunting phase of unpacking the rest of the items. It took a couple of hours to settle into the room, and my flag banner was so long that I couldn't put it all up on the same day. It wasn't until a few days later that all of my flags were put up, and the final result is outstanding!

With my world map up as well, my dorm room looks like a mini United Nations. It's no coincidence, though. My room literally has a United Nations flag, as well as mini stick flags in my desk area that represents where my blog visitors are from. Unlike many college freshmen, I don't have any photos with friends in my room. However, I love the way my room looks anyway since It represents me and my interests (let's talk about my Hustlers poster), and I wouldn't want it any other way.

The times I've had in college so far have overpowered the arduous move-in phase. I've met a variety of people through events, spoken to my professors on a more personal level, and even went paddleboarding. Despite this pandemic, I have been having such a good time.