10 Stresses Of Move-In Day College Students Know Too Well

Moving in isn't always full of sunshine and rainbows.

313
Google Images

It's back-to-school season - it's hard to believe that summer's already over. Time to go back to the reality of studying, hanging with friends, and going to sporting events such as football and hockey. College students cannot wait to get back to their universities, but move-in day can be quite stressful. Whether you're an incoming freshman moving into a dorm, or a senior moving into an off-campus house, here's 10 things about move-in day all students can agree on.

1. All of the packing.

Packing is the most annoying part of move-in day. There can be no motivation to pick up the boxes, move them to your room, and start putting things in them. Or maybe you start to feel motivated and pick out a bunch of clothes, but end up losing it and stare at a mountain of clothes in your bed. You want to take everything and anything with you, but can you? Nope: there's only so much space.

2. Your parents may or may not cry because you're leaving.

You could be a senior and your parents might still not be used to you going away. There possibly will be waterworks before, during, or after move you in. I wouldn't blame them; after all, they may still think of you as their little boy or girl. You may feel embarrassed that your mom is blubbering like a whale and won't let go of you, but you know you'll start tearing up after she leaves.

3. Getting furniture in and putting it together can be a struggle.

Furniture is one of the most challenging obstacles. Moving it out of your vehicle and into your new living space can be a journey in itself. Couches, for example, can be heavy and more difficult to move if you need to take the stairs. There's also the mystery of having to read a manual to put something together. It will all work out!

4. Decorating is so tedious.

Some of us may just have a plain space and call it a day, but then there's some of us who want their living space to be picture-worthy. Decorating can be a nightmare for those who don't have any sense of style, like myself. All of the deciding can take a while, and it's almost as if the whole room will be messed up if you don't put that picture in a specific place. Rely on those who do know what they're doing in order to not have a disaster on your hands.

5. It can be crowded at times.

With piles of boxes everywhere and people coming in and out, moving in can be very claustrophobic. You don't mean for it to happen, but it does. You don't want to be up close and personal with your roommate's siblings or parents, but you will. It can feel like a zoo if you and your roommate(s) are moving in at the same time and brought everyone and their brother to move you all in. It will subside.

6. Dealing with high-maintenance people is the worst.

There's always going to be that one person who is a disaster waiting to happen that is moving in when you are. They're a hurricane of an individual, and he/she will want you to suffer and stress as much as him or her. It could be over the littlest things, like if the line to check in took too long, or the wireless printer isn't working. These people are the cause of major eye-rolling, but don't sweat it.

7. The drive there can feel like an eternity.

The drive to your school can feel like it takes forever when you're really excited to go. Traffic could be an absolute nightmare because of timing, stupid drivers, or the fact that there's thousands of other students just like you moving in. You could be on time to leave, but whoever's with you could be stalling. Keep calm whether you're driving or not.

8. You have to remember what it's like to live on your own.

After a long summer at home, it can be hard to remember what it's like to not live with your parents. No more paid meals, no more nonsense. You have to be responsible for your grades, expenses, living environment - everything. To me, adulting is like riding a bike. It may take a few falls and a few tries until you get the hang of it.

9. Having to say goodbye to your pet.

If you have a pet at home, saying goodbye to it is the end of the world. No more snuggling on the couch, going for walks, or play time. Your best friend will miss you as much as you will miss it. Whether you have a canine or a feline, you will want to take it with you. You will devise plans in your head to sneak your pet in without getting caught, but they will fall through. Don't worry because your pet will be there when you get home!

10. Saying goodbye to your parents feels like you're never going to see them again.

No matter how far away you are from home, there's no doubt that you're going to miss your parents. Saying goodbye is the hardest part of moving in. You get so used to seeing them everyday for three months that you don't realize how much you'll miss them until the time comes. Listen to their advice, call them every once in a while, and enjoy when they visit. Always tell them that you love and appreciate them because they love you more than you'll ever know. They're so proud of you.

Moving in is the first step in your new life or returning to it. Of course there's negatives, but the outcome is amazing. College is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Enjoy your time because it'll fly by before you know it! Happy back to school, and have an awesome academic year!