9 Things To Expect On College Move-In-Day

A rough-sketch of what's to come.

742
reslife.umd.edu

I believe in honesty. I also believe that it is better to go into something expecting it to be worse than it actually will be in reality. This method leaves lots of room to be pleasantly surprised, and little room to be severely disappointed. As the end of summer approaches more quickly than we may have liked, we begin to think about the impending beginning of a new school year. For those of you who are starting college in a few weeks, you may be feeling the jitters of not knowing what to expect. Every college freshman goes through this and it is completely normal. While I'm sure you have a heaping pile of concerns about college, I'm going to pin point just one and give you a brief picture of what it is like. Move-in-day. Ah, move-in-day...The most anticipated and dreaded of days for both students and parents. I'll let you in on an honest and somewhat exaggerated picture of what to expect on move-in-day.

1. You and your family will be extremely overwhelmed.

From the moment you wake-up to when you finally get settled in your dorm, you will be overwhelmed. Your household may be panicked and rather snappish and that's ok. It is a crazy day. Three things to remember at the start of this day. First, you will get everything done. You will be amazed that everything fits in your car and in your dorm room. The seemingly impossible is in fact possible. Second, while this is your first college move-in-day, it is not the school's first move-in-day. They know how to make the process go as smoothly as possible so trust them. When upper classmen come around with carts and offer to help you, let them. Third, this day will be over soon. It may not seem like it, but it will be over before you know it and you will have a room resembling "home."

2. Setting up your room will be hectic.

I know this resembles number one, but it needs to be said. It goes hand-in-hand with being overwhelmed. There is going to be a lot of people and items in a very tiny space. This is the only reason why it is hectic. Try not to overthink where you are placing everything. You could always rearrange your room later on if you don't like it. That's half the fun.

3. It may take two or three of you to make the bed.

I am aware that it is a twin size bed and I sound crazy. But when you take a tiny bed and try to put on a bedbug protector, mattress pad, and all of the other layers, it gets very tricky and confusing.

4. Your parents will say or do at least one embarrassing thing.

All I can say is that they love you very very much, and nerves get the best of everyone no matter what their age.

5. You will do at least one embarrassing thing.

You shake your head, but trust me it will happen. Nerves are a funny thing and so is the desire to make a great first impression. Learn to laugh at yourself early on.

6. The meeting of the roommate(s).

This can either be really great or really...interesting. Not all people give the greatest first impression, so don't judge them too much on that. Like I said before, it is a crazy day. Try to break the ice and maybe grab a bite to eat together. Try to remember that not all people mesh. It is ok to be friendly with your roommate but not be friends. You will have plenty of opportunities to meet new people.

7. Try to introduce yourself to as many people as you can.

Is this awkward, absolutely. However, once you start to make conversation with other people you'll see that everyone is in the same boat as you. You all want the same thing...to make friends.

8. You may (probably will) cry at some point.

I'm not asking you to admit it, but I want you to be aware that it happens (even to the least-likely of people). It is perfectly normal to be scared and miss home. The majority of people probably feel the same way. It's nothing to be embarrassed about or ashamed of.

9. Your parents will cry at some point.

They may not show it or admit to it but they will be emotional. Don't be too hard on them. Let them fuss over certain things and give you the same advice that they've been giving you all summer. Allow them to say goodbye to you as they like.

When the hectic moving-in process ends and your family leaves, take a breath. Use the remainder of the day to walk around and get acquainted with your campus. Try to see where everything is, and most importantly find the best place(s) to eat.