How I Learned To Accept My Body

Ever since I can remember, I have always struggled with my own image. I remember looking in the mirror at ballet class and being a whole head taller and two times the size of most of the girls in my class. In elementary school, I had braces, glasses, acne, and got teased ridiculously. I had always been an extremely early bloomer and I spent a lot of time getting down on myself. I remember putting on extra spanx in the 7th grade to look smaller because I couldn’t fit into Hollister jeans anymore because they were too small for my body type. But the truth is that EVERYONE goes through body image issues. People will always be insecure about their body and it’s because we live in a society that idolizes women that receive plastic surgery in order to achieve the ideal body. Over my years, I’ve learned a couple of things about how to help change your perception of your body into a positive image. I still struggle with it on a daily basis, but I’m for sure getting better.

1. DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS IN MAGAZINES, MOVIES, TV SHOWS, AND SOCIAL MEDIA.

The reality is that all of those photos are touched up. Editors even take pounds off the skinniest people in Hollywood to achieve this aesthetic that society wants. As far as social media, models will spend hours getting the best angle, sun exposure, putting on high end makeup done by professionals, and getting outfits that personally flatter their body. Believe me, if you had that kind of time and money, you would look just as great as them.

2. Eat healthy, drink water, and exercise.

You CAN be body positive and still want to stay in shape. The reality is, you don’t have to workout because you want to change your image, work out to make sure you’re getting those endorphins going and keeping yourself on your toes. All of these things will help boost your self esteem.

3. Look at your genetic history.

Are you parents tall? Are you grandparents bigger people? You are genetically encoded to physically be a certain way. If both of your parents are very athletically, you’re probably going to have more of an athletic build. If your parents are taller and bigger boned, you’re going to have bigger shoulders and a bigger stature. If your parents are petite, you probably be as well. Also a very good indicator is to look at your parents when they were around the same age as you. Chances are, you probably have a similar stature.

4. No one cares what size clothes you wear.

And if they do, then they need to get a hobby other than being the size police. The average woman is a size 16. The reality is that virtually no one is going to see the size your clothes are except for you. If you have to go a size up because something’s too tight, it is what it is. Sizes are all different depending on the clothing company and is not dependent on body image, your personal health is.

5. Be content with yourself.

At the end of the day, you could reach your ideal body weight and get all of the cosmetic procedures done but if you don’t like who you are as a person, you will never like who you see in the mirror. Work on loving yourself from the inside and the rest will radiate out.

Hopefully these tips can help you get closer to accepting your body just the beautiful way it is.