Getting Dog In A Relationship

There is so much that changes when you have a fur baby and a boyfriend. Whether you get a dog together or one of you already has one, it affects your relationship. Dogs are like the pre-kids step. It's late nights when your baby is sick and you trade shifts. It's taking them to the doctor's for a check-up or because they are sick. It's loving another being and allowing that not to get in the way of the relationship.

Dogs are amazing. Boyfriends are amazing but they both have challenges.

Men get jealous of children so it's only natural that they get jealous over fur children. Women have to acknowledge this, especially if you didn't get the dog during the relationship. One of the biggest things I tell other ladies with fur babies is that you need to give them time to bond and be comfortable.

You also have to set boundaries and expectations. You need to be open about how your dog comes first because they rely on you and love you, just as much as your boyfriend.

Girls, ignore their dogs/cats all too often when they have a man in their life but that doesn't have to be the way it is. My boyfriend and I work on doing things with my dogs, like going on walks and playing with them. If my boyfriend and my dogs didn't get along or he didn't like them, then we wouldn't have made it this long because I couldn't stand that.

Do they get on his nerves? Yeah, it's weird that my little dog will sit (away from us) and watch us fool around. It's really weird, but we laugh and get over it.

Besides my boyfriend loves having someone to blame for the nasty smell that all of a sudden is in the room.

Dogs will change your relationship with your S.O., no question about it, they real questions is: will you let it change your relationship for the good or for the bad?

Having a dog with your love is an amazing experience and it take the relationship to a whole new level. It's the step before engagement because co-parenting fur babies is a full-time job.

So, thinking about getting a dog? Make sure you both are ready and that you have clear boundaries of the new relationship.

But if worse comes to worse, you can always dump the guy and keep the doggie.