How A Group of Women Are Changing The Way Kenyan Girls Have Their Period

Not everyone has easy access to feminine hygiene products.

58
Dianne Butler

We can all agree that getting your period is kind of a bummer. You get cramps, acne, and an insatiable appetite. While getting your period can put a damper on your day, you do have the resources to deal with it. Majority of women in America have gotten some type of reproductive health education. It’s a little bit of a hassle, but we have pretty easy access to sanitary products such as tampons and pads. At the end of the day, most of us have the ability to bleed with dignity. Unfortunately, girls around the world don’t have that same privilege, which is why I’m incredibly grateful for the Days For Girls project; that is giving young women around the world the resources to make their period a minor inconvenience instead of a major setback.

Days For Girls is an organization that works to provide young women, who may not have access to disposable sanitary products, with reusable feminine hygiene kits.I have had the incredible privilege of working with the Days For Girls group in Mombasa, Kenya. Project manager, Dianne Butler, works with local women to create and distribute the sanitary kits. She has sewing groups all around Mombasa, but the ladies I’ve had the opportunity to meet are a wonderful group of physically disabled, yet fun loving, women. The ladies at the Tunaweza sewing group always greet us with big smiles and hard working hands. Days For Girls Mombasa allows these women to make a necessary, and meaningful product, that ultimately it allows them to have a safe, fun, and positive work environment. These ladies are like no one I’ve ever met before. They have passion for the project, and love for each other and anyone they meet. It’s easy to make fast friends with the Tunaweza ladies.

So, what’s in the kit? A Days For Girls sanitary kit comes with two moisture barrier shields, eight absorbent liners, two zip lock bags for soaking, one travel size soap, a washcloth, and a pair of panties all in a beautiful drawstring bag for discreet storage. The kits are designed to last for two to three years. That means for every kit, that’s one girl who doesn’t have to miss school due to her period for up to three years. On top of the reliability of the sanitary kits, they are also incredibly environmentally friendly.

Since 2014, over 400 girls have received the reusable feminine hygiene kits. That’s cutting down the waste of disposable sanitary products by 400 girls every month. The kits cost roughly seven U.S. dollars, and with the help of donations, Days For Girls Mombasa is able to distribute the kits to girls up and down the coast of Kenya. All of the materials used in the kit are locally sourced, and made by groups such as the Tunaweza ladies. These kits provide income and support for the individuals that the materials are bought from.

There is a lot of stigma around sexual and reproductive heath, which is why education on these subjects is beyond important. Aside from working to make sure girls have reliable sanitary products, Days For Girls also focuses on education. The amazing people at Days For Girls Mombasa have been going to different primary and secondary schools in the area to give talks on sexual and reproductive health, as well as talks on gender based violence.

The goal is to provide answers to any questions and cultivate a safe, supportive, environment for every child they meet. Without Days For Girls Mombasa, the young women in the community might not have the resources or support to ask the questions they have about their own bodies.

A lot of times these resources are taken for granted by the western world. Not many women who have periods in the west think too hard about how they’re going to gather the money to get the sanitary products they need for their period. While, there is a fight in the U.S. to supply women with free tampons, there also needs to be a fight for the girls who may not have the resources to begin with. Days For Girls is so important, because large corporations may be able to supply free disposable sanitary products here and there, but beyond the one pack free tampons, there’s no education being done, and little to no community effort. Not to mention it’s not nearly as environmentally friendly as what Days For Girls is doing. That is why I’m so grateful to be able to work with Days For Girls Mombasa and all of the incredible women, and one man, involved.

If you also want to fight for the right of dignity, health, and education for the girls in Mombasa you can support the movement by donating, so we can continue to distribute these kits across Mombasa. If you're interested in this project contact Dianne Butler via Facebook or via E-mail: dianne@daysforgirls.org

To stay updated on the project, follow the Days For Girls Mombasa Facebook page: https://web.facebook.com/Days-for-Girls-Mombasa-58...