How Dance Keeps Me Sane In College

How Dance Keeps Me Sane In College

Without dance, I don't know where I would be.
83

To me, personally, dance is a sport. Dance is also an art. And that combination allows me to stay sane throughout my hectic college life. And here is the reason why.

When I first entered college, I was frightened beyond belief. I expected to have work and responsibilities to be thrown on me immediately. I expected loads of homework, and a lack of sleep. My first year of college wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I had danced at a studio and had been on some dance teams throughout my life, dancing since the young age of three years old. As I graduated high school, I contained this fear deep down that I wouldn't be able to continue with dance. Dance has controlled my whole life, and I couldn't imagine leaving this passion of mine. I knew of a dance team at my university, but I craved more expressive movement, more of a type of dance that told a story. I didn't want a competitive, strict style.

I discovered a dance program at my school, and I love it. I love the fact that even though my major and minor have nothing to do with dance, I am still able to participate in it. I don't think I'll ever be able to let my love of dance escape. With juggling a job, a sorority, volunteer hours, and coursework, I think of dance as my stress-free zone, and I look forward to it. When I'm dancing, all of my stressors free my mind, and I think in the moment. I believe that dancing is a perfect stress reliever, because you are focusing on movement and rhythm instead of your lab exam the next day.

Along with freedom from stress, dance also gives me positive energy when performing. I love being able to tell a story with movement. This allows me to stop focusing on how hectic my schedule is, and allows me to stay in the moment. When I dance, every little worry is freed from my mind. Every upcoming test, every paper, every speech, every mandatory requirement, is gone for that moment, freeing up the jail cell that my mind is locked in.

To me, dance is a great escape. Without it, I doubt I'd stay sane whatsoever. Just the movement itself allows me to free myself from all of my doubts, struggles, and worries. It just keeps me happy in general, and I thank God it exists everyday.