How Bout Them Cowboys...

How Bout Them Cowboys...

Why I'm Confident In A New Regime

11
How Bout Them Cowboys...
www.wsj.com

That's my quarterback....,

Tony Romo, is injured again... My absolute worst nightmare has occurred, making this physically painful to talk about.

Seahawks' Cliff Avril tackled Romo from behind as he scrambled to the line of scrimmage early in Dallas' preseason game against Seattle. As Tony ran forward and received contact from the defender, his body was forced downward, into the ground and into itself, faster than Romo had accounted for with his attempted slide. Tony immediately reached for his spine, as the worst was feared...

Sure enough, Romo was diagnosed with a compound fracture of the L1 vertebrae in his back. Out for 6-10 weeks. Just break my back why don't you, my heart is already crushed again.

I'm probably a bigger Tony Romo fan than a lot of people are. I think very highly of him at the quarterback position. He posted the highest QB rating in 2014 (113.2), and has the fourth most 4th quarter comebacks OF ALL TIME (25) disputing the myth that he chokes late in games. Tony gets the ball out quick, and as far as quarterbacks go, is one of the best in the league skill wise. Any expert will agree that he is highly talented, but will knock him down a couple of pegs due to his injury-riddled career. Nonetheless, Number 9 is extremely tough, once playing through a broken rib. He's also tried to manage playing with a broken collarbone, pinky, and back pain, among others injuries. His toughness is unquestionable, but he keeps getting hurt to the point where he cannot play. So for what seems like the millionth (counted, roughly) time, Tony Romo will be on the sideline, this time for the beginning portion of the 2016/2017 NFL season. As I mourn this loss of a leader on the field, I have grown accustomed to this feeling.

But it this time it's different. Romo is 36 years old, and has been in the league as a member of the Cowboys after signing as an undrafted free agent, since 2003. His skill is still exceptional, and his mentality is competitive and fueled, but Father Time is not lagging too far behind. Statistically speaking, he won't make it in the league past the age of 40.

However, I have hope. I always have a good (bias) feeling that Tony will battle back from his injuries and lead the offense to many victories upon his return, but this time there is another hope; a 23 year old out of Sulphur Louisiana, and (more specifically) Mississippi State, Dak Prescott.

The new Cowboy, Number 4, posted promising preseason stats (if you read into that kind of stuff, which historically has never meant much). However, he performed very well, throwing at a 78% clip (39/50 attempts) for 454 yards, with 5 touchdowns by way of the air, and 2 more on the ground, aside 0 interceptions.

In lieu of the Minnesota Vikings acquiring Sam Bradford from the Eagles, Philly's Carson Wentz will now be one of 2 rookies starting under center, alongside Dak. However, these two situations are wildly different, and that's why I have hope and confidence in Prescott. Over in Eagle-town, they eat you alive after one incomplete pass. Carson Wentz threw for over 5100 yards and completed 45 touchdown passes over his career at North Dakota state (a 5-time champion may I add; red-shirted his freshman year) but will have a lot to live up to as the highest drafted player out of an FCS school. He's going to be leading a team that is thirsty for a deep playoff run, especially in the mix of a division littered with, well, insanity.

But Dak doesn't have that. Yeah, America's Team has that constant pressure (which admittedly, has died down), and desperately needs a playoff run, but the fourth rounder doesn't shoulder that burden.

Prescott only has to do one thing besides gain experience: hold the fort down until Romo gets back. He's the starter right now, but this is Tony's team. When Romo is healthy, he's the guy. He knows this system inside and out, has the poise and confidence to spark the Cowboys organization and fan-base, and has grown familiar with the personnel under head coach Jason Garrett.

Last year in the 2015 season, after Romo went down in the second contest against Philadelphia, the Boys went 0-7... With a bye week mixed in there. They couldn't win ONE without Romo. Granted four of those were one-score games, but that big 0 in the win column holds tremendous value. So technically speaking, if Dak Prescott can win 1 game in his tenure, he's already done better than last year.

With the extent of injury that Romo is facing, it's not too hypothetical to assume that he'll miss the full 10 games that are projected to be the maximum, adding precaution for the injury-prone vet. That would leave 6 remaining in the regular season for Romo at the helm. I'll take a split, an even 5-5 out of Dak. Let Tony win 4 or 5 more to close out the season and seal a playoff spot. I would even be satisfied with 4 wins from the rookie, because it's all about setting the team up for the playoffs. With the shaky NFC East, even 8 wins can secure a position.

So let's look at Prescott really quick. I don't personally react too much into previous statistics, because college and professional football are different games, with different levels of competition. Nonetheless some things have to be mentioned anyway. He holds 30 school records if I counted correctly. He also has numerous others as well, including (again doesn't mean much, I suppose) holding the tie for single game completed passes (33) in the Orange Bowl with, a certain New England Patriot. (Dak does hold the record for most passing yards in that game however, no tie).

A couple more statistics from his collegiate career here though: 9376 passing yards, 70 passing touchdowns, and an additional 41 rushing scores (2521 yards on the ground). He even caught 3 touchdowns over his career at Mississippi State.

The first Dallas rookie QB to start since 2001, Dak will also be paired up with another highlight rookie, Ezekiel Elliot, the crop-top wearing beast from THE Ohio State University. Toss in another well known Cowboy, Dez Bryant, and I see a fired up arsenal of core talent, behind a strong offensive line and supplemented by guys like sneaky wide receiver Cole Beasley, running back Lance Dunbar, and dependable veteran Jason Witten. Second year Byron Jones will be looking to make a splash behind a defense that you can't sleep on to be dangerous if they can force turnovers. I have huge confidence in this team. This young squad is going to take a little to gel behind their new man under center, but look for Dallas to string together a number of wins during the middle of the season.

Probably the biggest factor for Dak is the fact that this is a win-win scenario. He's going to gain invaluable experience with an unquestionably talented team, one that drafted him with the idea that he could be 'the guy' waiting in the wings once Romo's time comes to a close. I never want to see the day Tony is no longer my team's leader, but Dak Prescott is giving me a sense of comfortability that I never have. Big things are coming, I feel it.

Team's all yours rookie, show us something.

Your move D4K.

#CowboysNation