Why Jamal Speaks Wasn't Allowed to Play the Game He Loves

Why They Wouldn't Let Him Play

The 18-year-old running back finally participated in his first high school football game in two seasons, and no he wasn't injured.

85
Why They Wouldn't Let Him Play

Jamal Speaks, a senior from the Washington D.C. area, kept up with his studies, his health, and out of trouble at Ballou Highschool. Just before the Knights first game this season, the school's principal, Dr. Willie Jackson, told the Speaks he was ineligible to play because of a 'residency violation'. The school administration even threatened to fire the team's head coach, Minoso Rodgers if they let Speaks play. All because he failed to provide a permanent address for the District of Columbia Interscholastic Athletic Association.

(ABC7)

Jamal has spent the last several years living off various friends' couches. His father died and his mother isn't in the picture. His homelessness raised issues before. The DCPS (D.C. Public School System) kicked him off the team at the end of his sophomore season because of a residency discrepancy arising from his estranged mother's address in Maryland. After working tirelessly with his teammates and his god-mother, Mia Young, to compile paperwork and complete all the necessary steps for clearance, the DCSAA (D.C. State Athletic Association) declared Speaks eligible for the 2018 Fall season. However, a different organization, the District of Columbia Interscholastic Athletic Association (DCIAA) wasn't yet convinced.

Ballou High School Homecoming Game 2018

Speaks originally applied for a waiver from the DCIAA, the city's public school athletic league in August. They denied his request, so the devoted young man turned to the DCSAA to appeal and was granted eligibility. The approved appeal should've overturned the DCIAA's decision, but both hierarchies claimed to have the overall ruling authority in these situations. Without the final go-ahead from both sanctioning bodies, Principle Jackson took preventative action fearing, "any negative publicity" (as he told D.C. Councilman, Trayon White).

The story sparked large public disapproval from both the community and Jamal's teammates. In the team's first game against Anacostia, the Knights refused to take the field for 45 minutes in protest (before eventually playing and winning 48-0). Jamal's benching was even more controversial because college scouts from Temple University, the Division 1 program that offered Speaks a scholarship in July 2018, came to watch their recruit play, and couldn't because of his residential situation.

Jamal Speaks (center) committed to Temple University on July 4, 2018

Councilmember Trayon White released a statement following the game in support of Jamal. "This young man has been through enough," he said, "this is the kind of player we need to put our time and resources behind. We cannot afford to turn our backs on this young man". The councilman pledged to aid the high school senior in obtaining eligibility and securing housing. He even helped Jamal set up a Gofundme page, raising almost $25,000.

The Covenant House Greater Washington (CHGW), a local D.C. shelter for homeless youth, reached out to the teen after hearing his story and offered him a home. Following the CHGW's proposal and much pressure from the local government and community, the DCPS announced Jamal's approved eligibility. Finally, after months of struggling and fighting for his chance, Jamal Speaks would get the opportunity to do what he loves most: play ball.

On September 27, the 3-star recruit running back led his team to a 29-26 victory over rival Roosevelt High, his first time in a uniform since his sophomore year. Speaks was overcome with emotion as a local reporter interviewed him after the game. "It's a blessing," he said, "to be in this uniform again". Speaks will continue to play for the Ballou Knights the remainder of the season, and will join the Temple Owls in 2019 on a full scholarship.

He considers the community who cared for him when he needed it most the family and the home he never had. "I love y'all," he said holding back tears, "Thank y'all so much...from the bottom of my heart".