To The High School Senior, Stop Stressing

Slow down and breathe.
20

So you're a senior in high school stressing about college? I totally get it, I was there too; however, my advice to you, from a second-semester college sophomore, would be to slow down and breathe.

With the stress of college acceptance letters coming in the mail to filling out your FASFA and perfecting as many scholarship applications as humanly possible, just remember to take a step back and realize this only happens once.

I know you're counting down the days until you can walk across the stage and receive your diploma, but just remember, you're never going to get these moments back. Moments such as finding the perfect prom dress with your best friends, to lacing up your cleats and hitting the dirt for your endless softball practices, to attending your last pep rally, to planning your senior pranks and spirit week, to dancing the night away at prom, and finally to walking across the stage full of excitement as the next chapter in your life is about to open. As all of these little moments happen, just remember, in a few short months, everything is going to change.

Sure, this summer will be filled with lasting memories of the never-ending list of graduation parties you have to attend, awesome road trips that you and your best friends map out, and tons of relaxation in the sun, but soon enough, summer will come to a close and the well-anticipated wait of college is at your fingertips. And let me be the first to tell you, college is pretty great.

Don't get me wrong, you are going to be drowning in homework. Thought high school was hard? Think again, college is going to push you to your limits. But besides the exams and papers, college is full of wonderful opportunities where you discover who you truly are. You find out who your true friends are, some new and some old. You immerse yourself into activities you want to do, not extracurriculars that only look good on a college application. You discover your passions and the type of person you strive to be. College is the time where you discover yourself.

So my take-home message for all of this would be to enjoy high school because it only happens once. It doesn't matter what college or university you attend, everything will work itself out in the end. Still stressing about all of those scholarship essays you have to fill out? Work hard and get them done, but don't forget to enjoy the little moments with your friends and family, because before long those moments will turn into memories and your friends won't be as easy to reach. Lastly, just remember, that whatever direction you choose to go, there will be highs and there will be lows, but life always goes on so make the most out of it.

High school isn't the best four years of your life, but they are four years that are pretty great so enjoy them before it's too late.