High School Musical Characters: Where Are They Now

They gotta go their own ways.

6941

I know we were all on the edge of our seats for last week's "High School Musical" 10-year reunion. We were all live-tweeting quotes, song lyrics, memories and our disappointment in Zac Efron's absence. Though we were excited, the reunion left us with a lot of questions, such as where would the characters of the popular franchise be now? Here's my take on what happened after graduation.

Troy Bolton

At the end of the third and final installment of "High School Musical," Troy revealed that he would be attending the University of California, Berkley. He was offered a basketball scholarship and hinted at studying theatre. We also can't forget his swoon-worthy shout out to Gabriella mentioning that he'll be at school only a mere 32.7 miles away from her. After graduation from East High, Troy was a star basketball player for Berkley and started several games against his best friend, Chad Danforth at the University of Albuquerque. He took a few theatre classes, but found his passion in high school education. Upon earning his degree, Troy went back to New Mexico to teach freshman biology and accepted the position as head coach of the men's basketball team, following in his father's footsteps.

Gabriella Montez

Smartie-pants Gabriella studied pre-law at Stanford University and saw her boo, Troy, often, but on the weekends (32.7 miles apart, remember?) because she was busy studying her butt of during the week. She tried to make some time for theatre, but after being cast as chorus for a few productions, she decided it wasn't for her anymore. She instead became a part of the campus women's show choir where she shone. She also joined student government her freshman year and was voted the president later on. After graduation, Gabriella went on to grad school at Harvard Law. She moved back to New Mexico after, to open her own law firm, and is still with Troy to this day.

Sharpay Evans

At the end of her high school career, it was revealed that Sharpay would attend the University of Albuquerque for Performing Arts. When she was away from school, Sharpay would continue to perform in shows at her dad's country club, Lava Springs. After one show, a producer told her he was casting for a Broadway show and asked her to move to New York. She happily went for her dreams and after a lot of NYC antics, earned a spot on Broadway. She is in a serious relationship with aspiring film director and son of her mother's friend, Peyton List. She is still starring on Broadway and sometimes makes time to return to her alma mater to help out with the ever-growing drama department, to which Mrs. Darbus is grateful.

Ryan Evans

Ryan was one of two successful students who earned a scholarship to the Juilliard School, the other being Kelsi Neilson. Ryan and Kelsi, having started out as only knowing each other at Juilliard, stuck close together and became very good friends. Ryan always asked Kelsi to compose music for his choreography and they soon became a well-known pair on campus. They continued off the college campus after Juilliard and looked to find their place backstage on Broadway. They found success with the help of Sharpay and worked on several shows together.

Chad Danforth

Chad accepted a basketball scholarship to the University of Albuquerque following East High. Although he was upset about leaving his high school friends behind, especially his best bud Troy, who ended up not going to U of A with him, he had a great time in college. Chad excelled in his major, sports management, and was a monster on the court. After college, Chad was drafted into the NBA, but ended up signing as a free agent after a failed season. He played a couple years in Europe and then settled down back in the States. Now, Chad is working in LA working for the Lakers.

Taylor McKessie

Taylor McKessie impressed everyone when she traveled across country to city of New Haven where she attended Yale University after high school. At Yale, Taylor majored in political science and minored in women and gender studies. Taylor, like Gabriella, was on student government where she stood out and made fantastic strides for the student body. Following graduation she moved to Washington D.C and worked under the direction of President Obama. After spending quite a bit of time and talent in D.C., Taylor became homesick and moved back to New Mexico. In her hometown, Taylor ran for mayor and won. Way to go, Mayor McKessie!

Although these Wildcats went their separate ways... once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat.