5 Things I Learned In High School (So Far)

Halfway through high school and this is what I learned.

36
Flickr - @cjonthehudson

As the summer season is drawing to close and school is approaching faster than we think, it seems appropriate to share my experience and advice to those who are about to embark their high school journey or those who need a fresh reminder of what to expect in the new school year. As a rising junior, I have yet a lot to learn but I'm sure the advice I'm sharing will help you thrive in not only in school but in life.

The first thing I learned in high school is the place to start becoming involved in things that interest you. As a freshman, this might seem like a scary idea but it will be so worth it as you explore different activities that interest you. Not only will this look good for a college application but it will help you find new hobbies and friends who share a similar interest.

Second, I learned that in order to be good in your classes, you HAVE to be organized and on top of your classes. This is not the time to start slacking off, especially since it kind of depends on your future. Put as much effort as you can in school. Review what you did in class when you get home, ask for help if you need to, and show your teachers that you care and want to learn.

The third thing I learned so far is to not take yourself so seriously. You're still a kid and growing up too fast can be a negative thing. Go to the school dances and sports events. Don't punish yourself by spending all of your time thinking about school because in the end, you'll miss some of the greatest times of your life and you'll definitely regret it in the end.

I also learned that health is the most important thing and taking care of yourself is necessary. You come first before any type of education and high school can be very stressful, especially at a time where you are trying to figure out who you are as an individual. Taking a day off to relax and clear your mind is perfectly healthy. Be as active as you can be and watch what you eat. Talking to someone about what's on your mind is a great idea. Be aware that your mental, physical, and social health matter and shouldn't always be secondary.

The last thing I want to share that I learned in high school so far is to start thinking about college and your future but don't overwhelm yourself. In my opinion, this is the scariest part of high school but it doesn't have to be. If you have a plan, that's great. If you don't, don't stress too much. Work as hard as you can and make realistic goals about what you want to accomplish in life. Believing in yourself can go a long way.

Being a teenager has its drawback and perks but life is only really just beginning and you don't have to find the answers of life but you have to live it and find the importance and beauty of it all.