Are There Really Health Benefits To Keeping A Journal?

When in doubt, write it out.

8
valeriebracchi.com

Being 20 years old and trying to juggle school, a social life, and work can be exhausting. Sometimes I completely forget to think about myself because i'm so wrapped up in everything else going on. I've started to write in a journal, and it's helped me balance out my thoughts tremendously. When you become overwhelmed, your judgment is off. When your judgment is off, it can be hard to make decisions and focus on what you truly want to focus on. A journal is the perfect place to sort out your thoughts, in a stress free environment.

According to Psychologies, writing in a journal can actually be very beneficial to your mental health. Here are five reasons you should get a journal.

1. Your journal has the potential of being both your therapist and a good friend. Your journal will always be there to listen to you, even when all your friends are busy. Writing down your thoughts also can help you see things with more clarity. Also, keep in mind that you can write ANYTHING you want. Your journal is only there to listen, not judge.

2. You become more mindful of yourself. By writing everything down, you will become more aware of certain patterns that you follow. Becoming aware of this is the first step to change. By noticing these patterns, it will be a lot easier for you to achieve goals and respond effectively to challenges.

3. Journaling is inexpensive and easy. You can bring it with you essentially anywhere, and it's easily self managed. Writing a journal entry can take 5 minutes or it can take 30; it's all about what works for you.

4. Journals are creative portals. You are always in check with yourself, it becomes a lot easier to solve problems and get creative. Paul Smith and Betty Smith are both fashion designers who both keep their creativity alive by regularly writing in a notebook. Writers like Virginia Woolf, Maya Angelou, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, Sylvia Path and Alice Walker along with hundreds of writers across time who all kept diaries and journals which has informed their writing and creative productivity.

5. You give yourself permission to write yourself into history. Think of how many women were left out of history books- a lot. Journals give a voice to your dreams and aspirations, but also take into account your failures and disappointments.

Overall, I highly recommend a journal. It's a safe place you can go to talk about anything you want to talk about, without any judgment.

Vent it out, gf.