Why I Hate the Olympics

Why I Hate the Olympics

Game On

14
Why I Hate the Olympics
Open Clipart

It’s that time of year again. The world’s greatest athletes all gather together to compete in the name of honor and glory for their country. When it’s time for the Olympics, everyone is watching. Even people like me who, on any ordinary day, could care less about sports.

So why do I hate the Olympics so much? Well, this week Simone Biles and Simone Manuel have been all over the news. A 19-year-old black gymnast who is in a league of her own and a 20-year-old black swimmer who has made history as the first African-American woman to ever win a gold in Olympic swimming.

This week, while Biles and Manuel have been kicking butt and taking names, I have been lying in my dorm room, sleeping the days away. The only noteworthy thing I have done all week is watch seven seasons of The Office in seven days.

While I hate the realization that girls my age are doing much more than I ever could in my wildest dreams, it gives me just the push I need to maybe set aside The Office and get a few things done (starting with this article). I have decided that next year this time, I, like Biles and Manuel, will be doing something amazing and worth being proud of.

So, yes, I do hate that the Olympics showcases girls my age doing things I never could. But on the other hand, maybe that’s what the Olympics is all about. Seeing extraordinary talent and getting inspired to be extraordinary yourself.