Tips For College Football Tailgating

The Best Survival Guide to Tailgating

How to survive tailgating at a football dominated university.

37
The Best Survival Guide to Tailgating

It's that time of year again! The fall is most commonly known for changing color leaves, cooler nights, cozy blankets, and campfires. However, here at the U of AZ, these fall commodities are almost nonexistent, summer never ends. So what does fall mean to us and arguably every other college student? Football season is here, AKA tailgating SZN.

Movies like to portray an idealistic image of tailgating, one that still centers around family values and barbecuing with the entire crew outside of your trailer RV. Although these traditions are still alive and well within American culture, for those of us who do not have the luxury of having family around hang out tailgating is essentially is a fancier word for dragging out what usually would be a couple hours at the bar or a house party into an all-day event.

Here are a few tips to keep in mind so your day goes smoothly... Well hopefully...

1. The bag

Let's be honest, nobody, for the most part, likes to haul around a bag when they're trying to have fun. However, someone in your group must take a bag whether it be your boyfriend carrying around a backpack or your best friend taking her "going out" purse someone must have a back. Why? because it's less likely for me to lose my keys if they're in Drea's purse than around my wrist or in my back pocket while I'm clearly preoccupied with other things.

2. Take cash

Whether you go to the bars, a house party, someplace to get tacos, or if you end up actually making it to the game you should bring cash. Cash is easily accessible, usually, when you use cash you tend to get your food or drinks faster, especially if you bring small bills so you don't have to bother with waiting for change. This might not seem like a big deal but once you've been waiting 30 minutes to have your card returned to you after ordering one drink you'll thank me.

3. Assemble a team

I'm the last person in the world that has the right to judge anyone but we all have that one friend that treats every weekend like her 21st birthday. It's always good to take more than one person with you when you go out, especially when you know there is going to be alcohol present, safety should always come first. I know thinking about safety isn't' the most fun part of going out but having friends around you to have your back is always worth it.

4. Don't forget to eat!

I have told my friends so so so many times, please eat before you go out. Not only is every restaurant busy but you're also out walking around, usually not stopping somewhere that has snacks. Most time I go out tailgating my friends and I won't eat until after we're done which could be two hours or six, so making sure your body is nourished before you go is a major must.

5. Water is your friend

The sun is not forgiving, especially in Arizona. Whether or not you can feel it, the sun is sucking up your energy. The majority of the time you see a sick girl or boy being hauled off by the EMT's is because they were drinking too much, they were dehydrated, or a combination of the two. So don't forget, to drink water!

All in all, tailgating is most definitely a right of passage in college you shouldn't miss out on. Although most tailgates end sweaty, dizzy, and sometimes dramatic they're some of the best memories you'll make.