A 4 Step Guide To​ Tend To Yourself During A Worldwide Pandemic And Protest

A 4 Step Guide To​ Tend To Yourself During A Worldwide Pandemic And Protest

Tips to help you take care of yourself during a stressful time.

20

With everything that is going on in the world right now, everyone has been affected in some way or another. Some more than others. Regardless, people are feeling alone, trapped, lost and overwhelmed. Most of our time is now spent worrying about the unknown. It is important to stay in touch with ourselves in order maintain our mental health. Here are a few tips for practicing self care in order to remain happy and healthy during this time.

Designate time to yourself

Set some time aside to be alone, and be sure to follow through with it. Make an effort to force yourself to think and do on your own. Considering you are most likely constantly around the same people, you must allow yourself to explore your independence. This may also serve as a break from the same repetitive social interactions you have been having since the beginning of your quarantine. Doing this will relieve tension you may not even realize you had. It is easier to lose ourselves than we think, so take time to check in with yourself to really assess how you are feeling.

Don't be afraid to be selfish

This may be taken in many different ways, however the main objective is recognize that you must put yourself first. There is a lot going on around us right now, and it is easy to feel guilty for doing something for your own benefit. Try to remember that this is your life, and you must take what you need from any situation. For example, try to remember that if these times are teaching you anything it is that life is short. Anything can happen at any moment. If a big opportunity presents itself to you, make sure your needs and wants are the first thing you think of. Not anyone else's.

Give yourself a break from the news

Every news outlet is flooded with the same information, and it is exhausting to hear. It is impossible to turn on the TV without hearing about the virus, or the protests. While these things are important and relevant, they may not always be relevant to you.. In that time, it is important that you try to avoid unnecessary stress.There is something about the constant reminders that "we are all in this together" that is extremely irritating after awhile. No one wants to be constantly reminded of the same thing because they begin to resent it. Stepping away from any kind of media will keep you from having resentment towards what is going on in the world right now.

Keep in mind you are not alone

I know, it seems like I am totally contradicting myself here. This tip is definitely something that is overstated, however it is extremely important. You are in no way at a disadvantage because of something completely out of your control. Everyone is going through the same thing and has the same fears, it is just a matter of excepting them. As alone as you may feel, there is always someone around you who may understand what you are going through. Never hesitate to reach out to someone for reassurance of this, is is only human to need clarification in order to move forward.

Self care is extremely important, especially during a worldwide pandemic and protest.