GRIT versus SOUL

GRIT versus SOUL

Cycle up that hill to an alternative universe.

754
GRIT versus SOUL

A new workout trend came to light in the last few years, and it has taken over the exercise community. For those who do not have the time to go on lengthy bike rides, or those who do not like to to exercise on a bike outside, indoor cycling might be the perfect alternative for you. Now the question is, which program would fit you better? The two more popular programs across the country are GRIT Cycle and SoulCycle.

GRIT Cycle’s program surrounds itself around the pure definition of word grit. This definition, according to grit cycle website, is a positive, non-cognitive trait. It is based on a passion that is on a particular goal coupled with a motivation to achieve it. This program is about climbing up a hill and getting over the top with your own power.

GRIT Cycle is based in California, and the founder is Marisa Wayne. These classes are 45-minutes and choreographed to high intensity music. There are several types of classes that vary in price: instructor of the month, gritty quick single, gritty quick package, first time riders single, single, five class series, ten class series, twenty class series, the commitment-phobe, six month unlimited, twelve month unlimited, and karma rides. Some of these classes may be music themed. For example, when Stagecoach is coming up, the instructors have a country-music-themed class. During these classes, instructors choreograph arm workout combos and set the pace for the pedaling of the feet. These combinations include push-ups, crunches, figure eights, and some weight lifting exercises. Instructors tell their pupils to get the speed of their feet to synchronize with the music before starting the arm workouts.

From my own experience, GRIT Cycle is a lot of fun. The instructors encourage, promote, and demand that you finish the workout either on your feet or in your seat. The interior is calming with the pale blue light and instructor controlled white lights. The music is fun, and I am able to draw on some of the power from my fellow cyclists. What I really like about GRIT Cycle is that the instructors tell and show the exercise combinations before they tell you to do it. They also tell you the pedal speed throughout the song so that you can keep the speed. Overall, my conclusion is that if you want to focus on the workout as an individual and you want to get over that hill solely for the better body, I would suggest choosing GRIT.

SoulCycle strives to benefit the body, the mind, and the soul with its inspirational and meditative fitness experience. According to the SoulCycle website, individuals aspire to inspire. The point of this class is to have an intention and expectation out of the ride. SoulCycle strives their cyclists to let go of what stresses and what is unhealthy in our bodies.

SoulCycle was founded by two women named Elizabeth Cutlet and Julie Rice. The locations of these indoor studios are in various states: Illinois, Connecticut, DC, Florida, Hamptons, Long Island, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, California, New York, Pennsylvania, Washington, and Texas.

The interior of the room is dark and only lit by candles; there are instructor controlled white lights on the ceilings that come on and off throughout the class session. These classes are 45-minutes and are also put to high intensity and upbeat music. There are different classes that vary at different prices: soul starter, first time ride, one class, five classes, ten classes, twenty classes, thirty classes, and Super Soul fifty classes. These classes include push-ups, crunches, and weight lifting off the handle bars. In these ways, SoulCycle is very similar to GRIT Cycle. However, what makes these two programs different is that SoulCycle improvises. The instructors have their pupils throw snaps over their shoulders, high-five or clap with the cyclists around them, and isolate their legs in the middle of a fast song.

My personal experience with SoulCycle is pretty awesome. The workout is amazing and fun and sometimes the instructors are so funny where I laugh out loud. I like how SoulCycle really emphasizes the idea of detoxing not only through sweat but through thoughts and experiences. What I like about Soul is that it is more than just a workout. The instructors want you to focus on yourself and becoming a better person instead of just focusing on the workout. Overall, if you want to go beyond the workout, I suggest the SoulCycle program.