Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

Learning to trust in God's timing.

72
Good Things Come To Those Who Wait
Christian Marketing Program

God's timing has been something that has been difficult for me. I am a slightly impatient person. If I have made up my mind to do something I want to do it right then and there. Sometimes this can spell disaster for me. The other day I decided I wanted to make one of those "cookie in a mug" concoctions. I pull up my Pinterest, find a recipe, and just start pulling things out of cabinets. Now, any responsible adult would have made sure they had the ingredients first before mixing things up, however, I am not always a responsible adult. The last ingredient and step in the process: melt and add the butter. So I have all the ingredients for what the article claims is going to be the best cookie in a mug I've ever tried mixed up in this cup already. I open the fridge, and there is no butter. Not in a stick, not in a tub, nothing. So, I add oil to the cookie and hope for the best. Needless to say, the oil worked (for all intents and purposes) but the cookie was not good. It's a sugar cookie, so of course you want that sweet buttery taste to it. While it still worked out, it wasn't as good as what it could've been.

I realized that day that God wants us to wait for the perfect timing so we can be sure that everything will be perfect. If we try to execute God's perfect plan for us but rush His timing, the end result will not be God's perfect plan. God waits for the right time because sometimes when we think we are ready for something, we really aren't. Like me baking cookies, I may not have the right ingredients yet for God's plan. Everywhere we will go, God has already stood. He knows what will happen if we don't trust his timing. His timing is not to punish us and make us miserable, it is to accomplish what is best for us.

Just because it works out for us in the end doesn't mean it was what God wanted for our life. I have been trying to change my major for a semester now, and every time I almost get through with the process, something happens and I can't change it. Instead of getting frustrated I am reminded that God will let His will be done, but at the right time. Yes, he may be calling me to teach elementary school instead of high school, but that doesn't mean that I am ready to make that switch yet. I also struggle with this idea when it comes to dating. I know that God will lead me to a great guy, but that doesn't mean I am ready for that yet either. Just because I think I am ready, doesn't mean that I am.

As hard as waiting can be, we need to spend time in God's word in the meantime. We need to prepare our hearts for what He has to offer us, and grow closer to Him in the meantime. You know what they say, good things come to those who wait.