Go To Your Happy Place

Go To Your Happy Place

Dealing with the anxieties of 2017

12
Go To Your Happy Place
Raleigh D Woodford

With all that is actively happening now in the United States and around the world, I am sure stress is a part of your day. I wish I could sit here and disagree with that statement, and just let the pleasures of life fill my every day, however, I feel that now is not the time to sit back and relax. This is a time of great separation of ideas, beliefs, and concerns. This is a time when you either agree or you do not. When you are embarrassed to have the privilege you have, or you choose to use it as an act of love and equality for all. Being a white male, it can be embarrassing to sit and realize how much privilege I just have because of my skin color and sex. When I see white men get up and speak and just say whatever they want, because they can get away with it, it makes my blood boil. I need to find my happy place.

Now is a time when you go online and you either see a video of a woman throwing puppies off a cliff, or you see a man talking about how he would grab a woman by the pu**y to get her aroused. You just see and read things that really make you upset and can just drive you crazy. It really blows my mind when I think about the information I have access to now, the truths that are at my fingertips. Sometimes I feel the world's pain and I just do not know what to do. I imagine most of you feel the same way too. I think that this just means we need to find a space in our minds that are safe and real, and easy to access. As much as there are pain and suffering, there is love and change. It can be so hard to focus on those things, but I know when I look around me, I am so grateful for the lives that have touched mine. All the unique and different minds that have entered my universe, that I have laughed and learned with, that I have grown and cried with. It truly is a miracle.

I recommend thinking of times when you laughed so hard you peed, or when you loved so hard you cried. Think about the times when you just felt present, and when you took a breath in and felt your body relaxing as you breathed out. Those moments are your happy place, those are the moments that matter and that will change your attitude and your universe. For every time there is a death, there might be a birth, every time a heart is broken, another might be mended, and every time a tear falls there is a smile being shown. You really have the power to change your focus, to make it positive, and to go to your happy place. Do not let the media destroy the inner peace you are capable of having, and spreading.