Challenge Yourself

Challenge Yourself

Get out of your comfort zone and stop doing the easy thing.

21
Challenge Yourself
bphope.com

I have always been afraid of the unexpected and I definitely hate being unprepared. My parents raised me to be self sufficient and depend on myself. Yes, as a child my parents were both there to hold my hand and guide me in the right direction, but they both raised me to be independent. So, my transition to college has been easier than I thought. I got a job, began supporting myself and started trying things I have never done before. I began to find time to learn about myself and experience new things I enjoy. Now, the subject of challenging yourself may seem simple when it comes to growing, but the only reason why it seems that way is because you aren’t actually challenging yourself.

Do not be afraid to try new things, go to places you have never travelled or gone alone, and do not be afraid to quit doing things in your life that you do not enjoy. Now, I am an adventurer. I love traveling and going to new places. I also enjoy trying new foods, cooking new recipes and getting out of my comfort zone. But, quitting things is not something I do. I have never liked giving up on anyone or anything and quitting something feels like I am giving up. Thus, I am not challenging myself. However, what I have learned this past semester is to do things that I enjoy. I should not carry on doing something that I have found easy and does not make me happy. There’s no point in continuing to do something that does not fulfill my life and bring me enjoyment.

Every moment in your life should be joyful. Do not try to continue doing something that you do not enjoy just for the sake of money or out of the sake of making another proud. For instance, I loved my job at Chipotle but it took its toll. I finally could not take working there even though I needed the money. So, I worked until I saved up enough to survive on my own for the next 3 months. I decided to quit my job because I did not enjoy it anymore. I started to dread going to work. No, not because of my coworkers, I love my coworkers and I still hang out with them, but I could no longer take the stress from the job. At Chipotle, you have to be on top of everything right then and there and it is very fast paced. However, I just began to hate going to work. It took me a while, but I finally quit. I would rather be at a job I enjoy than at a job I do not enjoy.

It took a lot out of me to quit. As said before, I am self sufficient and like depending on myself. I respect my parents and hate feeling like a burden upon them. So, I discussed the idea of me quitting my job and they agreed. I could be working at another job that I enjoy, that could potentially be within my field and could help me gain a career. I am graduating next semester from university and as everything feels like it is passing by so fast, I have begun to be comfortable with it. So, now I have decided to make a change and challenge myself to do something more. By quitting my job I may have more free time, but that is free time I can dedicate to finding something creative and enjoyable that I can challenge myself with.

So, this is my open letter to you. Do not be afraid to quit and do the unexpected. Do not be afraid to drop everything and try something new. Be confident and face this new challenge head on and find something to do in your life that you are passionate about.