11 Global Events Overshadowed by the U.S. Election
Politics

#9 Pokemon Go! Used to Raise Awareness of Syrian War Victims

29
ARY News

Although the entirety of social media has been consumed with the 2016 U.S. presidential elections, there are other important events going on around the world. In fact, there have been at least 11 recent events that have been overshadowed by the current election cycle, so take a break from Trump and Clinton and read about these other important happenings.

1.) ISIL Attack in Syria

On July 27th, the Islamic State attacked the Kurdish city of Qamishli, killing at least forty-four civilians.

2.) Turkish Military Coup

On July 15th, 8,651 members of the Turkish military attempted a failed coup with 35 planes, 37 helicopters, 74 tanks, and 3 ships. 246 persons were killed in the failed attempt and 2,000 injured. The government has now detained approximately 16,000 suspects.

3.) Suspected Honour Killing in Pakistan

Samia Shahid died two weeks ago in Northern Punjab and the Pakistani police have just launched a murder investigation after reports were filed that her family threatened her life because of their disapproval of her marriage.

4.) Suicide Bomber Attack in Somalia

On July 26th, car bombers affiliated with al-Qaeda killed 13 civilians outside an airport in Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia.

5.) Michel Barnier Appointed to Negotiate with Britain over Brexit

The former French foreign minister, Michel Barnier, has been appointed by the European Commission to negotiate Britain's exit from the European Union.

6.) Russian Athletes Banned from Rio Olympics

In the past few weeks, 108 Russian athletes have been banned from the 2016 Summer Olympics because of "doping," or using illegal substances to enhance performance.

7.) New Plan to Fight Gender Violence in Argentina

In 2015, 235 women were killed in gender-violence related incidents in Argentina. As a result, Argentina's president, Mauricio Macri, has introduced the National Plan for the Eradication of Violence against Women.

8.) Referendum Delays in Venezuela

Venezuelan citizens are attempting to oust President Nicolas Maduro and have called for a recall referendum. However, the National Electoral Council has delayed the referendum until August 1st. Venezuela is in the midst of economic decline and 64% of its citizens would vote for the removal of their president.

9.) Pokemon Go! Used to Raise Awareness of Syrian War Victims

Activists for humanitarian aid to civilians affected by the ongoing Syrian war have started to use Pokemon characters to highlight the atrocities of war. Pictures of children holding pictures of Pokemon characters have circulated the internet, spreading the message that "if you can spend so much time chasing fantastical imaginary creatures then why can't you do more for children growing up in a war."

10.) United Nations Condemns Planned Executions in Indonesia

Despite the United Nations' protests against the proposed execution of 14 prisoners, Indonesia plans to move forward with their plans to administer the death penalty to prisoners arrested for drug-related crimes. The UN has referred to this as "unjust capital punishment."

11.) India Reduces Child Labor Restrictions

A new bill was recently passed in India which amends the country's current laws regarding child labor. The bill increases the types of jobs open to 15-18 year old minors, and allows exceptions to family and extended family businesses to allow children under 14 to work. The bill has been condemned by the United Nations as UNICEF estimates that 10.2 million children are working in India.