After hearing of the recent laws proposed/passed in states like Ohio, Georgia, and Alabama, the nation is expressing outrage and disgust. And reasonably so. It seems like there are always people challenging women's ability to have control over their own bodies and futures.

I'm really sick and tired of all the BS. Because people who are for these bills go on and on about how they care for potential lives of the unborn, but it seems like the people who are already living are just left to struggle and suffer.

There are so many things that legislators should be more concerned about than trying to overturn Roe v. Wade.

1. Drug abuse

Overdose death rate

ww2.kqed.org

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, more than 130 people in the United States die after overdosing on opioids every day. And the National Survey on Drug Use and Health shows that over 8.3 million children under the age of 18 live in a household where at least one parent is addicted to drugs or alcohol. Addiction hurts everyone but children of addicts are hurt the worst. Children of addicts experience emotional and psychological damage and trauma.

While there isn't an easy answer or solution to this issue, legislators should be working on ways to help victims of drug abuse.

2. Homelessness

homelessnessinchildren.weebly.com

According to statistics, the main cause of youth homelessness is physical, sexual, and/or emotional abuse from parents or guardians.

3. Hate crimes and gun violence

fortunedotcom.files.wordpress.com

Over the past two decades, we have seen many school shootings and shootings in other public areas. Every time, people argue over what should be done to mitigate the issue, but nothing has really been done, or been effective.

4. Sexual violence

www.rainn.org

A lot of attention has been brought to sexual assault and violence recently, but it is an ongoing epidemic. There are many victims who are under the age of 14, and yet many turn a blind eye to the signs.

5. Birth mortality rates

cdn1.sph.harvard.edu

6. The immigrant/refugee crisis and family separations at the border.

psmag.com

7. Access to healthcare

www.kff.org

8. Children living in poverty

www.usnews.com

9. Foster care and the US adoption system

SPCC

10. Climate change

thenib.imgix.net

11. Food security

No Kid Hungry

12. Access to and quality of education

www.begintoread.com

13. Mental health

lh3.googleusercontent.com

14. Exposure to violence

www.childtrends.org

Recently, I watched a prison documentary. One of the young teens who was in the prison commented on his youth and how he had seen people he knew gunned down in his neighborhood at a young age. It was a reminder of how your environment can affect your future.

15. Youth suicide

i2.wp.com