Giving The Term "Lift Like A Girl" A Whole New Meaning

How women are changing Olympic weightlifting.

49

Long gone is a time when women were scared to go to the gym in fear of embarrassing themselves or of becoming too masculine. Across the country, women are flocking to the sport of Olympic weightlifting in an effort to feel confident and powerful.

Stacey Arbelo, a member at Pivotal Training in Southampton, New Jersey, fell in love with the sport two years ago. Although weightlifting was not always in the plan, after participating in cross training for several years, she developed a passion for “lifting heavy things,” at that point she decided to start Olympic weightlifting. Stacey now spends roughly four hours a day in the gym, training both before and after work.

After spending a day at the training facility, one thing is clear; weightlifting is definitely not just for men. Arbelo is one of many women lifters who finds comfort in going to the gym. Although once predominantly a male sport, recently, women have been dominating the Olympic weightlifting scene. Arbelo states, “There are so many strong women. I don’t think anyone in there [the training facility] sees a gender, we are all coming together and doing what we love.” Men and women alike come together in order to foster the special bond felt by many lifters. “Everyone wants everyone to do well. I want everyone to make all of their lifts and they all want the same for me.”

After talking to several female weightlifters, they all voiced the same reason for competing in Olympic weightlifting; to build confidence. “I am strong, not just physically, but I also feel like I can stand up for myself. Overall, I feel more confident and I attribute that to weightlifting.”

It can be anticipated that the sport will continue to grow and the rising number of female lifters will challenge the notion that men are stronger than women. To an outsider, the sport may appear to just be lifting heavy things, to these athletes, Olympic weightlifting is so much more. Lifting helps to develop confidence and brings together people who quickly become a family.