Girls Who Lift Are Absolutely Done Hearing These 3 Stupid Comments

"You will look like a man if you lift heavy."

971
Instagram / @allievansaghi

Having a few years of experience lifting as a female, the three misconceptions I hate to hear the most lay in the list below.

Here's to those who haven't begun their journey yet, those who already have and those who never thought about it; I hope clearing up these misconceptions encourages you to continue the path you are on without hesitation. In your duration of getting in shape, don't ever forget it is impossible to improve your physique if you do not mentally love what you are made of first.

1. “You will look like a man if you lift heavy.”

Lifting heavy weights is something that a lot of women see and run the complete opposite way from, heading right to the treadmill. Although it may be hard to hear, lifting weights is the only way you will see the results you want. Yes, you will gain muscle.

However, the more muscle you have the more calories you will burn at rest which means lifting allows you to burn more calories when you are not working out. It is only possible to gain muscle mass (the bulky part women are afraid of) if you are ingesting high amounts of protein. By this, I mean double scoop of whey protein twice a day, NOT two chicken cutlets.

The truth in this misconception is if you combine lifting heavy with HIIT training and you stay active, you will achieve your goals and you will NOT look like a man.

2. “You will look inexperienced if you lift light.”

Let me start by saying everyone starts somewhere. If you started out curling 20-pound dumbbells, you would do nothing but hurt yourself and get discouraged. Building up strength is one of the most rewarding feelings and you must start at a weight that you're comfortable with.

Every single person you see lifting in the gym has started somewhere, there is nothing but utmost respect to those just starting out because we have all been there. Also, there are two different arts to lifting weights: lifting heavy with as many reps as you can get out (usually not more than 12) or lifting light and banging out as many reps as you can (always higher than 12).

There are two-hundred-fifty-pound men that lift the same weight as you that day, but just may be trying to achieve a different goal at that time. In saying this, no one is going to know you are doing low reps with low weight.

The truth to this misconception is no one is going to even notice how many pounds you are lifting or how many reps you do. If they do, they aren't going to look down on you for it.

3. “Other females who lift weights are going to judge you.”

Let's be real, girls judge girls, it's human nature, and that happens everywhere. In the weight room, however, whatever look you think that girl gives you is based on respect. Respect because it is intimidating to start and not easy to continue and you share a passion. Although, everywhere else females seem to bring each other down, in the weight room there is nothing but admiration for determination and hard work.

The truth to this misconception is not speaking for every female out there just from my own experience. Majority of other females that share this passion will only respect you for having the confidence to begin the same journey she did.

Lifting is a passion that involves dedication, persistence, and effort. Getting into it is never easy whether you're a guy or a girl but the main thing to remember is there is always respect inside a weight room. We all work so hard and we all had to start somewhere.

Every single person in there is at a different stage in their journey but either way, we all learned from watching each other, asking questions and most importantly trial and error. Do not get discouraged, do not listen to the myths of lifting as a female and always give it your all.

Best of luck in your journey wherever that may be!