Yes, I Am A Girl And Yes, I Understand Sports

Nothing compares to being with the people you love and watching the team you love.
2177

If you know anything about me, you know that sports are my passion. I compete at the collegiate level, but my love for sports goes so much deeper than that. My family considers sports a religion. My fondest memories growing up are all centered around my family and sports. It brought my family closer together and that is saying a lot given how close we naturally are.

When I went to college, one of the things I missed most about home was Sundays. My family and I would gather around the TV, put on NFL Sunday Ticket, and become immersed in the suspense. There was one team we held close to our hearts: The New York Giants.

My grandpa played for them in the 1940s, my dad went on to play college football, and now my brother and I compete at the collegiate level. Sports is in our DNA, and it's not just because of the men in the family. My mom is extremely gifted, athletically, too.

See also: 10 Lessons I Learned As A College Athlete That I Couldn't Learn In The Classroom

Once I knew what my passion was, I decided why not try out a career in a field engulfed in sports. When I went to college, Sports Broadcasting and Journalism were easy choices as my majors. I love writing, and I love sports. Why not combine the two? As you can probably guess, my dream is to become a sports journalist.

The only problem is, this is a male-dominated field. However, I know I am equally qualified to write about the Miami Heat, the Dallas Cowboys, or the Boston Red Sox, although it may be hard for people to believe that. Just last week, a friend of mine almost had a heart attack when I started talking about how terrible I thought the New York Jets trade was, and his surprised expression is something I've grown used to.

Yes, I know who the quarterback of the Oakland Raiders is. Yes, I know what a run-pass option (RPO) is. Yes, I know that the Raptors are leading the East. Yes, I have asked my dad to help me with my throwing motion and my drop back. And yes, I know that the Hail Mary is not just a prayer.

I will never understand what it feels like to play football or baseball, but I will always put myself in a position to understand them as best I can.

I know it may come as a surprise, but sports are my biggest passion.

Even if my dream of becoming a sports writer does not end up happening, I will always hold sports close to my heart. The emotions that come with supporting something so much bigger than you are exhilarating. Nothing compares to being with the people you love and watching the team you love.