5 Tips To Cure The Freshman 15

5 Tips To Cure The Freshman 15

There are many names for it, but it’s a fact that it exists.

16
5 Tips To Cure The Freshman 15
NBC News

The Freshman 15. The First Year Fatties. The Fresher Spread.

Put simply, it’s the notion of gaining some weight during your first year of college. Depending on where you’re from, the name that you know it by is different, and the weight is always argued upon.

But it’s still a fact.

No more living at home getting good and healthy meals every night. No more length of time to actually be able to prepare a great meal in an actual kitchen that isn’t shared by some hundreds of your “closest friends” in your dorm. Now, the easiest thing is to simply go to the school cafeteria and get whatever’s cooking there. While in some cases, that still gives students a wide variety of things to choose from, it’s still easiest to simply take whatever is the main course in the meal line and roll with it.

But there are some tips that researchers and students alike have found that can really help students keep their meals healthy and their bodies away from that dreaded college stereotype.

1. SLEEP.

Yes, it sounds like a broken record, that people are always telling students (not just college ones) to get enough sleep, but it’s important enough to repeat. A lack of sleep does more than just turn your brain to mush (figuratively, of course) during classes. Not getting enough sleep also lowers your levels of leptin, a hormone that helps to regulate energy levels in the body by lowering your level of hunger. Not enough leptin makes your body think that you need more food than is actually necessary, leading to overeating and weight gain.

2. GET SOME EXERCISE.

It seems almost backwards, that not doing anything would make it where you don’t get hungry as much, but not getting proper levels of exercise can easily cause added fat to the body. While yes, exercising too much (in relation to how much is normally done) can lead to being hungry more often and eating more, exercising in modesty can help to burn off those extra calories that the body isn’t using for daily function, and can help to keep the extra stuff off, even help to lose some of what you already have.

3. CHILL OUT.

While having stress sometimes can be a good motivator for some, having too much stress can be bad for your entire body, not just your weight. Keeping your stress levels to a minimum through preparation for a project or by channeling that anxiety for motivational and strengthening uses is a great way to ensure that you don’t stress eat your way to a heavier waistline. College can be stressing, absolutely, but being able to manage the amount of stress you put on your body can really help your calorie intake.

4. WATCH THE BOOZE.

This one sounds weird, I know, but it is something that many college students need to think about. It’s almost become normal to think about having a party on a college campus and there being alcohol around, since TV, movies, and books have hyped up that stereotype so much. If there is a situation like that, however, watch out! Alcohol has averse affects to many different chemicals in the body that help to regulate the body’s weight levels, such as folate, Vitamin A, and calcium, as well as added calories that your body doesn’t need, so stay away from consuming too much.

5. CHOOSE YOUR DINNER WISELY.

It’s becoming common for schools to add a healthier option to their cafeterias to choose if a student so wants. However, it’s quite easy for a student to simply bypass this other option and defer to the easier (usually more caloric) option of whatever the main entrée is. Making better decisions on what you eat instead of the all-you-can-eat buffet and endless desserts can help to keep your body more awake during the day, and can keep the amount of calories that you consume to a minimum.

Actual studies have shown that the typical amount of weight gained by college students when they hit their dorms is actually quite lower than 15 pounds (usually between 3 and 10 pounds within their first couple years), but the fact remains the same: it’s easy in these conditions to add a little weight and added fat to your body, fat than can be avoided with good food decisions and healthy lifestyles. College is a fun experience, and worrying about how much weight you’re gaining is never a fun trip. Keeping it happy and healthy goes a long way.

Don’t worry, be happy, man!