Free Agent Watch: Daniel Murphy

Free Agent Watch: Daniel Murphy

Where will the postseason hero be playing in 2016?

7
Free Agent Watch: Daniel Murphy
abc7ny.com

Daniel Murphy is having a post-season to remember. Murphy’s bat has been an integral part to the Mets’ offense, and a key reason they will be playing in the World Series. With two home runs off Clayton Kershaw, one off Zack Greinke, one off Jon Lester, and another off Jake Arrieta, Murphy has surely drawn the attention of many executives in baseball. Three of those pitchers mentioned are the three candidates for the NL Cy Young Award this season, and the other, was the biggest free agent prize of a season ago.

This breakout couldn’t come at a better time, as this off-season Murph will be entering free agency. Entering the post-season, Murphy was projected to be looking at a three or four year deal at about $10 million per season. The first decision to be made, however, is whether or not the Mets will offer Murphy a qualifying offer, which is a one year deal worth 15.8 million for next season. There have been reports that the Mets may not offer Murphy the qualifying offer, since they have in-house replacements in Dilson Herrera and Wilmer Flores, and they wouldn’t want to pay Murphy that much in a single season. However, with the way Murphy has been hitting this post-season, I don’t think there is any way he would accept a one year deal. He will be entering his age 31 season, and this is likely the last hefty contract he will sign in his career. Therefore, I expect the Mets to make the qualifying offer and Murphy to decline it.

So what do the Mets have to gain by making the qualifying offer you may ask, since they don’t want Murphy to accept it? If Murphy turns down the qualifying offer, the Mets will receive a draft pick compensation if Murphy were to sign with another club. That club would lose their first round pick in next year’s draft, as a result of signing Murphy as well. This typically leads to certain players getting contracts for less than what they were projected to get, as teams do not like to part with the draft pick. So what does all of this mean for Murphy and his next contract?

As I mentioned before, Murphy will be 31 next season, which is just past prime age in baseball. He offers flexibility since he can be played at second or third base, as well as DH for an American League club, considering he is much better with the bat than the glove. With his sensational post-season, projections have jumped as high as four years and 50 million, a deal very similar to the one given to Chase Headley last off-season by the Yankees. Murphy is a top name on both the second and third base free agent markets this off-season, meaning the qualifying offer probably will not hurt Murphy. With his post-season outburst, I think Murphy has locked himself into a four year deal and I think someone will fork over close to 50 million. So which teams will be in the bidding for Murphy’s services?

For starters, I do not see the Mets in the hunt to re-sign Murphy. Despite being a fan favorite, and fans will surely be calling for him to be brought back, the Mets never tend to spend big. Add in the fact the in-house replacements I mentioned before, and the fact the Mets may try to sign Yoenis Cespedes; I just cannot see a Mets and Murphy reunion.

The early favorite to land Murphy’s services, simply based off of need, would be the Los Angeles Angels. With incumbent third baseman David Freese, a free agent likely to walk, Murphy would slide right in at the hot corner for the halos. Murphy could also be utilized as a second base, a position of weakness this past season for the Angels. Add in the fact that it’s an American League club, Murphy can stay in the lineup on days where he doesn’t have to play the field. Staying within the division, the Houston Astros have also been linked to Murphy. While Jose Altuve has second base locked down, Murphy would be seen as an upgrade over Jed Lowrie, who can become a super utility man, at third. The Cleveland Indians will have some money to spend this off-season and have a clear opening at third base as well. A team without a DH would be the Baltimore Orioles, a team that could also see Murphy as an upgrade at second base. Murphy could be a nice fit in Camden Yards, a very hitter friendly ballpark. Another team with a hitter friendly park is the Chicago White Sox, who happen to have an opening at third base. Finally, the New York Yankees can’t be ruled out, since second base is seen as a position of need. However, I do not see the Yankees taking this route in filling their need.

Over in the National League, the Milwaukee Brewers have a hole at the hot corner. Murphy could easily become the third baseman for the Brewers, while also providing insurance at second base for Scooter Gennett. The Dodgers will be losing two second baseman in Howie Kendrick and Chase Utley this off-season, and could very well be in the market for a replacement. They do have Justin Turner, who can be played at either second or third, just like Murphy. So if the Dodgers decide to go after Murphy, they would have the option of where to play both players. San Diego Padres general manager AJ Preller has shown he isn’t afraid to make moves, and with second and third base as positions of potential upgrade, Murphy is likely to be considered.

At the end of the day, I think the favorites, the Angels, will end up giving Murphy his four years for the most money. While the Angels have been burned by big contracts in the past, this contract won’t be nearly as large as the ones that have killed the Angels in the past. I see the Indians and Padres as being right there until the end, vying for Murphy’s services. With all that said, I would like to see Murphy end up in Baltimore. I think Murphy could be a nice addition to the Orioles lineup. The Orioles are likely to be tied up with trying to resign first baseman Chris Davis and upgrading their pitching staff, and Murphy will not be a priority.

So what do you think? Where will Murphy land, and where would you like to see him go?