Fraternity Spotlight: Phi Sigma Kappa

Fraternity Spotlight: Phi Sigma Kappa

Brotherhood comes out strong!

49
Fraternity Spotlight: Phi Sigma Kappa
Phi Sigma Kappa - Epsilon Iota Chapter Facebook

This week's spotlight is the very wonderful men of Phi Sigma Kappa! Whether it's meeting each other at the dining hall or hanging out on the weekends, these men have a very strong brotherhood!

What are your colors?

Crimson Red and Silver

What are your specific philanthropy events at UCM?

Trampoline-A-Thon, where we jump on a trampoline for 72 hours straight to help raise money for our philanthropy, Special Olympics.

What is your motto?

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

What year were you installed at UCM?

1920

What sort of academic programs do you have for your fraternity?

One of our Cardinal Principles is scholarship. Our fraternity has a scholarship chair that we elect as someone to help our brothers achieve the best academic scholarship possible. We spend a lot of time holding each other accountable for their scholarship. We also have study hours that we set in place to motivate the men to spend time in their studies.

What does a regular day as a guy in PhiSig look like?

PhiSigs spend their days doing as much good as they can. We try to keep ourselves busy, whether that be with our academics, sports or school-sponsored organizations. We also live our lives to uphold the great image that PhiSig has. We live our lives as Gentlemen and community activists. As our Creed says “I dedicate My Life to the maintenance of this Faith and the pursuit of this Purpose so that the ideals of Phi Sigma Kappa, being embodied in me, may be fulfilled in my Character and Conduct, and be known and honored by all men.”

What is something that you wish people in non-greek life or other fraternities knew about your fraternity?

Phi Sigma Kappa is a lifelong brotherhood dedicated to the betterment of the individual, the university community, and our world, by giving its members opportunities to develop leadership skills, participate in service to others, achieve academic excellence, experience cultural diversity and practice personal integrity.

What are major requirements of an active?

A major requirement of an active is to make sure that we are holding each other accountable to be the best we can be. We are all there to help each other out and build each other up. It is vital that we act like the gentlemen that Phi Sigs were, are and will be.

How many hours of philanthropy are you required a semester/month?

We don’t require a specific number of hours required because we believe that our men should be actively participating in philanthropy on their own! We have big hearts when it comes to philanthropy, so we have no problem getting our members involved!

What other organizations are men in your chapter apart of on campus?

Organizations that our men are apart of on campus involve: Wrestling, Track and Field, Spotlight, Collegiate DECA, Academic Fraternities and much more!

What values are most important to your chapter?

Brotherhood, Scholarship and Character

What is your favorite memory you have had with your brothers?

One of my many favorite memories with my brothers is the day that I found out who my Pop was! It is always so exciting to see how people react when they find out who their new Pop or Son is. Pop and Son is a program that we do to help our new brothers grow close relationships with brothers that have been there for a longer period of time!

Who is a famous alum of your fraternity?

David Cook! He was a member of our chapter here at UCM and joined in 2008! He is also ranked “The 8th Best American Idol Contestant Ever” accounting to Ranker.com

Don Knotts (Barney from the Andy Griffith Show)! He was a member of the West Virginia University Chapter – Delta.

What is the favorite thing about UCM Greek Life?

My favorite thing about Greek life here at UCM is that we are all here together to help each other and help the community in Warrensburg and surrounding areas.

Thank you to Jeremy Dean and Zane Heiter for helping with the article!