Fraternities Doing Philanthropy: SAE At DePaul Going Against The Social Stigma

SAE fraternity at DePaul University cheers up boy after spinal surgery.

81
Sam Smith

When most people think of fraternities, this stereotypical image of college boys hosting huge parties, with ample amounts of red cups, comes to mind, thanks to the many American movies that glorify fraternities. No one really associates images of gentlemen coming up with an idea to raise the spirits of a teenager, less than a week after a major spinal surgery, with homemade signs and a custom fraternity hockey jersey.

On Jan. 23, Delta-Pi Chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity at DePaul (SAE), visited Luke at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago and showed the values of brotherhood in SAE, as well as what it means to be a gentleman.

Dennis Spanos is a sophomore who came up with the idea for SAE to visit Luke after his surgery. Another SAE chapter, at UCLA, that visited a cancer patient inspired Dennis to involve his chapter in visiting Luke. Unlike the UCLA SAE chapter, DePaul’s SAE chapter had a more personal relationship with the patient they visited.

Luke is Dennis’ neighbor, as well as his boss’ son. Dennis is over at Luke’s house all the time, and Luke even looks up to him as a brother. Luke was born prematurely and has cerebral palsy. Dennis has known Luke for 16 years and has seen him in and out of surgeries, but this time it was different.

“This surgery is definitely unique. Luke’s always had surgeries going on, but with this one he will never be able to move his spine,” Dennis said. He knew that Luke was going to need all the support he could get and decided to involve his brothers.

When Dennis brought the idea to his SAE brothers, they responded with enthusiasm.

“I immediately thought it was a fantastic idea, we all thought it was, and seeing the smile on Luke’s face when we arrived at the hospital made it so worth while,” Sam Smith, SAE brother, said.

Luke was surprised to see Dennis and his fellow SAE brothers, and his reaction was unforgettable to the brothers.

“I will always remember the joy on Luke’s face when he saw how many people who he had never met came to see him,” William Angelos, SAE brother, said.“It was the greatest feeling I have ever felt.”

This act of kindness is not the only philanthropy that SAE at DePaul has done; one of SAE’s rituals is based upon a creed by John Walter, about being a True Gentleman. They follow this value by philanthropy events like the weeklong Miss Paddy Murphy event that raised money for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, as well as participated in DemonTHON. They hosted a Dropping the Puck on Cancer even with another DePaul fraternity, Sigma Chi, on Feb. 20, where they raised money for the American Brain Tumor Association.

Although some members did not join the fraternity for philanthropic reasons, this particular visit may have changed that.

“When I joined SAE I looked at it as a social club 100 percent, and that’s completely why I joined, but when this idea was brought to my attention that completely changed. I now realize that this is something that not only SAE should do but also everyone who can should. Recently, we all decided that we needed to do things like this more often,” said William Angelos.

SAE‘s visit to Luke has shown what it really means to be a brother, by having Luke feel a part of the brotherhood. SAE’s philanthropy has helped people look beyond the red cups and formal wear, to lessen the social stigma that many people brand Greek life with, and see the change they have made in one teenager’s life.

Luke’s first words since undergoing the spinal surgery were “thank you, SAE.”

To watch the video of SAE surprising Luke, click here.