For You & Me

For You & Me

This is when we see "one nation under God" fall to pieces.

24
For You & Me
Collins Flags

After this past week of nothing but election news being shoved down my throat I couldn't even focus to write anything. I couldn't even write my name on Wednesday morning after waiting hours to find out who won president elect.

Now, I know you're thinking....geez not something else about the elction...but just hear me out.

This election was a big deal for me and for a lot of the peple around me. For most of us, this was the first election we could vote in. I watched all of the primary season and all of the debates. While I learned a lot, there was still much to be learned.

When I voted, I found that because I had voted I was very very interested in seeing the outcome. It did not dissappoint. It was exciting, nerve-wracking, shocking, and thrilling all at the same time.

And while this election will go down in history for the whole world, it will also go down in history for me. Not because Donald Trump did the inevitable or because he didn't get the popular vote. Not because Hillary supporters broke out into tears and started riots. It will be forever in stamped into my mind that this was the election that divided America. My first election. My first reall taste of adulthood.

What a let down.

I was always taught that America was founded on religion. Not just any religion, but a Christian religion. And not just a Christian religion, THE Christian religion.

One Nation Under God.

Not two nations. Not a Trump nation and a Hillary nation. ONE NATION.

AMERICA.

This land is your land, this land is my land.

Everyone has an opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However, some people took their opinions to the extreme. I think it is wrong to use social media as an outlet to express your political views. Why? It puts you against people who have a difference of opinion. I don't want to know my cousins, my classmates, or my teachers political views. Believe it or not, if your views are different than theirs your relationship will be affected.

I caught myself scrolling through Facebook on election day and thinking things like "wow, never thought she would vote for that person." or "have they not watched the debates" to "wow their views and opinions are so so so different than mine."

It made me think differently of people. It made me angry.

I think that half the problem with the Trump rioters now is that they were fueled and are fueled by things like Facebook and Twitter. Whose mom voted for Hillary and whose bestfriend voted for Trump.

I was watching ABC News Tonight and they were filming Trump protestors in front of Trump Towers. One guy who was holding an anti-trump sign admitted that he did not even vote in the election. He was of age and simply did not vote. Now excuse me if I am wrong, but I have no tolerance for a protestor who did not even get out and voice their opinion at the polls.

He isn't protesting Trump. He is protesting America.

So you didn't get that promotion. Santa didn't bring you a unicorn when you were 4. You didn't make an A on the test. Did you protest?

But yet, one candidate over the other won an election and you decide to protest?

This is when we see "One nation under God" fall to pieces.

This election should have been about God. I expressed that I wasn't for Trump or for Hillary, but for God. For Him.

I put my faith in Jesus in that he would appoint the right candidate. I put my faith in America and she let me down.

This election will go down in history for me. I will remember sitting in my college apartment in PJ's with my two bestfriends watching God appoint the next leader. I will remember seeing our nation turn its back on God's decision. I will remember the divide.

I have learned in a week that God's presence is needed desperately in America.

"If we've ever needed you, Lord it's now. We are desperate for your hand, we're reaching out"

Jesus is the only King of this world.

The world behind me, the cross before me.

This land was made for you and me.

Abigail