Military Appreciation Month
Politics

Military Appreciation Month

119
Military Appreciation Month
Keckler

The month of May is Military Appreciation Month. In 1999, Congress set aside the month of May as Military Appreciation Month to ensure that the nation was given the opportunity to show their appreciation for the sacrifices and successes of military past and present.

There are times in the month to celebrate the Military and their families as well as the many people that work to help keep this government working.

May 1st is Loyalty Day

Established in 1921, this day reaffirms loyalty to the US and reflects on the proud heritage of American freedom.

May 7-13 is Public service recognition week

A time set aside to honor the men and women who serve our nation as federal, state, county and local government employees and ensure that our government is the best in the world.

May 8 is Victory in Europe Day (VE Day)

May 8th, 1945 is the day when Germans throughout Europe unconditionally surrendered to the Allies. This day marked the end of World War II in Europe.

Military Spouse Appreciation Day

Traditionally set for the Friday before Mother’s Day. A day to honor military spouses with appropriate ceremonies and activities. Recognizes the important role our military families play in keeping our Armed Forces strong and our country safe.

May 20th is Armed Forces Day

This is celebrated the third Saturday in May every year. A single holiday for citizens to come together and thank our military members for their patriotic service in support of our country. This day honors everyone serving in the U.S. Military branches: Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy.

May 29th is Memorial Day

A Federal holiday observed on the last Monday in May. This is a remembrance of our veterans. We commemorate the men and women who died while in military service.

For further explanation of May's military days, check out this link!

It doesn’t matter what your personal politics or ideology are this is a month to say "thank you" to the men and women who willingly and knowingly leave family and friends and put their life on the line to protect our rights and freedoms at home.

Our military is made up of all sexual orientation, all religion, and all genders. The United States has one of the world's largest volunteer military. There have been times when the government instituted the draft but for the last 45 years, the military has been made up of paid volunteers. In the New King James version of the Bible, John 15:13 says "Greater love has no one than this than to lay down one’s life for his friends." Our military lay down their lives for perfect strangers and they deserve the thanks of a grateful nation.