Focus On You

Focus On You

Sometimes you have to step back and look at your own life.

1988
Focus On You
Petra Dufkova

There is a lot going on in the world.

Britain decided to withdraw from the European Union after a vote by British citizens portrayed a belief that pulling away from the union would be the best course of action for the country. There are, of course, several opinions that counter this action, showing a concern for the country’s economy, international relationships, and other technological and scientific advances. Whether or not this was a good or bad decision, there is no way of knowing just yet. In reaction to this, Scotland is holding another vote to decide whether or not the country will remain in the UK, or stay with the European Union.

Soon after the votes were counted and the verdict announced, Prime Minister David Cameron announces his resignation.

In the semi-finals of the Copa Americana soccer competition, Argentina beat the USA team with a score of four to none, placing Argentina into the finals and officially dismissing the USA from the competition. This game caused heartbreak and frustration for fans of the USA team, and yet brought happiness and a feeling of success to those of Argentina. The game itself was exciting, and made a mark in the history of Argentina, as their team has lacked in energy and success in the past couple years. This win gave hope.

The effects of the shooting in Orlando is still present, as families and friends of victims continue to mourn and reflect on the incident. Despite calls for changed and reinforced gun laws, there is no assurance that any law will actually change, due to the belief that even the stricter gun laws could not stop any future attacks with a firearm.

The presidential campaign is still running strong, as the media is split between loving and hating candidate Donald Trump. As he continues to fight for his place as President, his words are continually being both praised and despised. The race carries on as the people of America watch.

The past couple days have been filled with various news stories and columns that have given facts and expressed opinions. These stories are important. We, as the audience and citizens on this country, follow these headlines throughout their timeframe and even up to weeks after the actually incident. Why? We worry, and we want to know more.

Our curiosity gives us a need to know even the smallest details, a factor of human behavior that media companies use to draw us in. Media is not a bad thing, as we have a right to know what is happening in this country as well as around the world, but when the world becomes more important than our own everyday lives, we start to focus on more than our priorities.

We live day to day, and maybe our everyday habits simply become boring and repetitive because we are comfortable with who we are and our simple lives. However, maybe it’s time to look at ourselves and wonder what we are not doing.

We can focus on what the world is going through and how our lives are affected by those nationwide changes or incidents. We can wake up every morning and immediately turn on the news or open a Facebook profile and then sit there for at least an hour looking through other lives aside from our own. We can turn to social media and see the details and facts of another person’s life. We can escape and find what we want through others and mindless living. That’s the belief.

I’m guilty of putting other things first before my life, simply because I didn’t have priorities. I’ve had days where I’ve spent more than enough time on my computer or phone, looking through a lifeless string of statuses, ideas, thoughts, pictures, videos, and other reflections of society. I’ve spent more time focusing on the lives of people as seen on social media, instead of doing something so small as making my bed or appreciating a day of good weather.

I think we should wake up with a smile every morning with the thought that today will be good. Today will be fun. Today will be different.

Put down the computer or phone and take a walk. Turn away from the television and clean something. Stop reading the news and read a book. Call family, hang out with friends. Go on a spontaneous adventure. Stop looking at others and become your own person.

It’s not always enough to say that we only live once, because words don’t assure action. In my own experience, I’ve learned that taking small and slow steps is a good way to start, but everyone has a different way of learning. We don’t have to ignore what’s going on in the world today, but we also can’t ignore what’s right in front of us.

You have a right to focus on yourself.

Find your priorities, and start from there.

Focus on you, that’s the best thing to do.