5 Reasons You Should Respect The WNBA

5 Reasons You Should Respect The WNBA

The WNBA is a serious league. Treat it with respect.

425
5 Reasons You Should Respect The WNBA
Racked.com

A couple of months ago, the 20th season of the WNBA got underway. As of right now, this historical season has given its fans exciting games as the rookies are becoming stars and the seasoned veterans are proving why they are the best in the game. But, as I watch these games, I look at the half-empty arenas and notice that there is a lack of attendance. In addition, I have been told that WNBA is not respected because it is considered the lesser league compared to the NBA. Personally, I believe that the women in this league are amazing athletes that deserve more respect and credit for playing the sport they love and excel at.

Here are just a few reasons the WNBA should taken more seriously:

1.The players seem more passionate than the NBA players.

What I have observed is that these women play their hardest every game just because

they love the game. A WNBA player’s annual salary ranges from $35,000 as a rookie to $107,500 as the maximum for veterans, unlike NBA players who get an average annual salary ranging from $500,000 to $30 million. To me, it seems like the NBA players have lost their love for the game and instead became obsessed with how much money they can get. These women have to play overseas during the year in order to make a living. They continue to play in this league not for the monetary reward, but for the fans and the camaraderie.

2. All of the players’ athletic abilities are impressive.

They run fast, jump high, score baskets, take charges, block and can dunk. These players’ skills are underestimated just because of their sex, but they very capable of doing everything players in the NBA can do, or do it even better.

If you need more proof of their physical capability, then here is a video clip of Lisa Leslie doing what she does best:

3. Their games are entertaining and competitive.

From all of the games I have seen, they have been highly competitive and they have no problem keeping your attention. Most of the time, they are nail-biters instead of blowouts, and overtimes are thrilling. All the teams have an abundance of talent that is displayed for 40 minutes. These women work hard to put on a great game for the fans and to achieve pride.

4. They are philanthropists.

WNBA players like Tamika Catchings and Tina Charles (photographed above) have started charities that benefit the lives of adults and children in their community. Tamika Catchings' charity, Catch the Stars, helps to empower youth to achieve their dreams by providing goal-setting programs that promote literacy, fitness and mentoring. Tina Charles' charity, Hopey's Heart Foundation, is committed to providing AEDs nationally for the prevention of heart and other injuries in student and amateur athletes through the provision of health education and medical equipment in schools, community and recreational centers. Hopey’s Heart Foundation also committed to improving sports safety precautions and making people aware of Sudden Cardiac Arrest throughout the country. Tina Charles for the last few years has donated half of her salary to her charity, which is pretty selfless considering that WNBA players make virtually nothing compared to their male counterparts.

5. The women in this league inspire young girls.

The women in the WNBA are role models to young girls that aspire to be in their shoes one day. They present a positive image that women can do anything and that no one should be restricted from what they want to do just because of their gender.

Honestly, I am not asking for anyone to become a die-hard fan and watch every game from now on. What I am asking is for people to show respect to a sport full of women whose love for the game goes unnoticed and their deep want to better their communities is appreciated.