Fitness, And All The Stereotypes Associated With It

I am working on myself, for myself, by myself. That's how it should be.
143

Ive been finding it hard for me to sit down and write because I've been a bit uninspired lately. However, I have fallen in love with my passion and future career again.

I have dedicated myself to becoming a healthier me both physically and mentally. Exercising at least 5 times a week and thoroughly enjoying pushing my body to new limits and beginning to study to become a personal trainer and fully delve into my love for fitness. However, as I've started to venture further into the world of fitness I've learned a lot of things, both good and bad.

We all know those fitness insporation accounts or "fitspo" accounts that we all follow in hopes it will make our lazy bums get out of bed and turn away from Netflix and actually head to the gym. However, have we actually stood in the mirror and looked at our bodies compared to those in the posts we obsess over? One of the most important things I learned in my exercise science intro class was to make goals for yourself that are personalized to your body and to your reality, not that of others. So my question is, why do we spend precious minutes and hours wishing, praying, and hoping to become false realities?

I learned a long time ago that I will never be a size 2 model with a perfectly sculpted thigh gap and eternally tiny tummy. Growing up, that was hard for me to accept because I wanted so badly to look like all the girls I followed on social media and saw on TV. But now, I love my skin. My curves, my cellulite, my broad shoulders, and I make sure that the goals I set for myself are appropriate for ME. I am working on myself, for myself, by myself. That's how it should be.

With that said, there are a few issues I have with some things I've seen on my social media recently. As I've started to follow more and more personal trainers, fitness instructors, and role models to help keep myself motivated, I've noticed something rather disturbing. Women are being criticized for being "too skinny to post about fitness", "too fat to be working out", and "too muscular to be a woman". I see the exact same things on male trainers pages too. Men, just because you can't throw a weight over your head and scream while doing so doesn't make unhealthy or any less of a man. Since when did someone's health become defined by their outward appearance and when did it become okay for someone's personal fitness goals have to appeal to society? Everyone starts somewhere and the most important part is that you start.

It infuriates me to see women AND men being discouraged from wanting to make a positive change in their life because they're scared to be judged in the gym or on social media. Whether someone wants to simply keep their blood pressure in check or if they want to lift 300 lbs. above their head, it does not concern anyone else besides those individuals. So to everyone out there who feels they need to concern themselves with the well being of others, mind your own goddamn business and take some pointers.