Raincry's Feisal Quershi On Accidentally Building An Empire

Founders Of Color: Raincry's Feisal Quershi On Accidentally Building A Red Carpet-Loved Hair Empire

Quershi is the creator of the Kourtney Kardashian-loved hairbrush.

41551

I've had the luxury of being able to meet a lot of haircare brand founders in my time as a writer and editor in New York City. To be honest, a lot of the people and the brands behind them tend to lack originality and passion — Feisal Quershi's Raincry is the ultimate exception.

I started using Raincry's cult-favorite hairbrush after hearing Quershi speak on a clean beauty panel at Bloomingdale's nearly a year ago, and I've been hooked on the brand ever since. I'd heard of his chic, luxury brand through the clean beauty grapevine and seen his hair products being used by Kourtney Kardashian's hairstylist, but it wasn't till I actually heard Quershi speak so lovingly about his pure and raw passion for hair that I really felt I had to try his products immediately.

Unlike a lot of beauty brand founders who are clearly business people first, Quershi birthed his brand out of his life as a red carpet hair guru. He couldn't find a single high-quality, high-performance hairbrush on the market he liked, so he made his own.

But the secret got out.

People fell in love with the French hand-made bristles, and out of that was born a full line of brushes, shampoos, conditioners, and most recently a refreshing hair spray that's become my date night essential. Behind every single product and the evolution of his uber-chic brand is Quershi's deep devotion to hair.

Raincry has walked red carpets all over the world, but today we tell Quershi's story.

What is the story you hope to tell with Raincry?

RAINCRY is a bit of an underdog story... started by stylists to challenge the status quo and predictability of a massive industry. Many stylists feel that we have either been neglected from product development or had our experience discounted by the major brands.

The vision was to create a haircare brand that brought that knowledge and performance to the forefront and cater to all hair textures.

Our experience has taught us that hair is hair regardless of the person who might be wearing it.

Ultimately, however, all people have the same desires, wants, and insecurities. So I wanted to create a brand that also spoke to that emotional component and helped people feel better about themselves.

It had to be inclusive and accessible to everyone regardless of their texture or background. You learn quickly as a stylist that we are all more similar than we are different and the RAINCRY story is very much rooted in promoting that 'feeling good about yourself' story that everyone deserves.

What has been your biggest challenge and highlight as an entrepreneur?

When you are an entrepreneur, you have to get used to highlights and challenges all the time, especially during your first several years. Challenges almost always require a major pivot in strategy and having your team meet the new expectations can compound the challenge even more so.

In cosmetics, most challenges derive from suppliers not being able to meet expectations in a timely fashion.

You learn to be in the moment and not get ahead of yourself until your product is finally in hand and ready to ship to market.

Despite the best planning, there are a number of things that are just beyond your control. So you have to be comfortable embracing challenges as an integral part of your business.

As for highlights, most of the meaningful ones are unexpected - the "wins" that come when you are tired, frustrated, and questioning why you are doing this all for? They are the most precious and come out of the blue just when you need that lift in morale to say

"Yes! Got a win today… how many more are out there for us?" It keeps you going and gives you the fuel to attack the challenges, whether it is an award, a new account, or even just a great review.

Being an entrepreneur is a high-octane roller-coaster ride and you have to have the stomach to ride those waves!

How much does coming from a marginalized community play into the way you do business?

Nothing and everything — it's a strange mix. My mother is Anglo-British and my father is Indian. I suppose my siblings and I were always a bit marginalized from both communities, never quite sure where we fit in or were fully accepted.

I later stopped trying to find my place in those worlds and acknowledged that I wasn't either-or, but rather both and adopted my own set of values and beliefs that resonated with me personally.

Eventually, I learned that marginalization was a function of other peoples' cultural, social, or racial expectations that were unfairly projected onto me.

Sadly I acknowledge that it still exists today... but I stopped participating in other peoples' issues a long time ago. At which point, it became exclusively their problem and it would later allow me to become my own person — dance to my own tune rather than to succumb to someone else's pigeon-hole.

Years later I would discover the quote, "Be the change that you wish to see in the world" and I still try to live by that mantra today.

I'm not suggesting that my position is the only or best way, but for me, it has worked and made me better.

That earlier realization was a big moment for me because it taught me to focus, be happier, and feel more in control to believe in what I felt was right. I also learned not to judge, nor be influenced by others and trust my naked instincts without bias, expectation, or the need for acceptance.

Despite feeling marginalized, whatever world you create for yourself… that's your true reality. You just have to be mindful not to enable, empower nor allow other peoples' adverse opinions to enter it. Instead, be sure to trust and believe in yourself; humble your ego; start with no assumptions or expectations and erase every bias you know — regardless of whether you are dealing with a person or a product.

Your gut will usually guide you to what is needed and the outcome will be genuinely yours.

Those 'instincts' are still one of my biggest and most important influences of how I develop products and do business today.

How important are social media and community building within your business?

Social media is a necessity but its effectiveness would depend on your motives and demographic. Over the last several years, social media has become a behemoth and it can be difficult to have your voice heard on such crowded platforms.

In the past, people required seeing a brand's message at least three times before it would be retained or remembered.

Last I read, that number is now over 15 times — largely due to our culture's constant bombardment of messaging and images. Now you have to be more savvy and committed to anything on social.

Content becomes very important and one should consider social media as your brand's digital personality— a way for people to interact with your brand and get a feel for who you really are. In that respect, however, I would say one-on-one community building becomes even more important and likely a better, more intimate, and effective way to introduce your brand's personality to your audience.

What advice would you give to the upcoming generation of entrepreneurs coming from marginalized communities?

Years ago, I remember a potential investor telling me that it didn't matter where you came from, or what your background may be (personal or professional), all that mattered in business was money; specifically when dealing with banks or investors (which is a necessity for most start-ups).

In the world of finance, marginalization usually comes from a potentially risky investment through either a bad idea, poor return, or not being prepared as the expert and effectively communicating the opportunity.

There is a lot of responsibility and risk being the 'entrepreneurial captain' of your ship and you have to be extra vigilant to show that you have researched, planned, and are prepared for every possibility to make your business successful and profitable.

Take your time and be patient in the planning stage — make sure you have ALL your ducks in a row.

You will then need to demonstrate that you are capable and can fully defend your business from every possible risk! Also be sure to surround yourself with really good people that are much smarter than yourself and already have experience in what you're trying to do.

Your management, directors, and advisors will be more important than your plan in making your vision a reality.

Sometimes marginalized communities have this mindset that they come from a world of scarcity because life has been challenging for them in the past.

But start your business by shifting your outlook to a 'world of plenty' and don't hoard or be afraid to share a piece with those team members that can demonstrate that they are worthy and/or will help expedite your success.

It's better to own 50 percent of a lot, rather than 100 percent of nothing.

What can we expect from the future of Raincry?

I have a good idea of what I'd like the brand to become but I always keep some flexibility to allow for pivots that can take you on a different route to get to the same destination.

So much of what we have done so far has been through fan requests and accidental breakthroughs or opportunities.

I think that is fun and exciting and I'm having a good time right now. There are currently a number of products and lines that we are working on and even though it seems like an eternity, I am reminded that we are still considered a young, 'new' brand.

I'm proud of our progress to date but reserve any judgment about the future because I have no idea where the next few years will take us.

One thing's for sure… we'll keep on going and continue to try our best!

Rapid Fire

What are your favorite accounts to follow on social media?

I'm personally not on social media. Given my current work schedule and demands, I don't have the bandwidth to regularly interact with people as much as I think they would deserve.

I think it is rude not responding or interacting in a timely manner and also think it is inauthentic to have someone else manage a personal handle on my behalf. Perhaps when I have more time I'll relook at it and be able to tell you some interesting accounts.

Tell us a book you'd recommend.

I haven't read a good book in a while. Several years ago, I remember listening to a talk that said that we live in a time of "intelligent idiots" — where story-telling, information and knowledge are plentiful, but people have stopped 'thinking'.

Being an entrepreneur requires constant, steady reflection, and thought. The last book that allowed me to reflect and ponder was an editorial book on Bansky and his art. It was thought-provoking and I appreciated his satire.

What charities do you support?

For years I've been a regular donor of international charities like World Vision and UNHCR. Sadly I acknowledge that we have our share of disenfranchised people here in this country also.

So I also do my best to anonymously help out local causes as well — anything that might touch my heart. Charity is important to me and we should not forget those that might be struggling.

Through my travels, I have learned that there are a lot of people better off than me, but usually many, many, many more that are worse. Despite our widespread issues, we in North America have won the geographic lottery and I encourage more people to be grateful for what we DO have and try to give back to those less fortunate — wherever and whoever they may be.

Even if it's not financial, just a few kind words, a gesture of goodwill, passing on knowledge, whatever you can do... they are all humble forms of charity that the world needs more of right now.

What is the item in your closet you wear the most?

Black V-neck T-shirts. It's my honorary uniform and a throwback to when I was a stylist.

What is the one haircare product you can't live without?

Our Polishing Wash. It's a pH-balanced shampoo that's made with activated charcoal and helps my scalp not feel tight while making sure it's squeaky clean.

What is on your nightstand?

I don't do as much reading as I would like to. I'm visual so I watch more than I read. I spend a lot of time watching documentaries — mainly historical documentaries and dramas from all over the world.

History will repeat itself in all aspects of our lives and if you don't know where we've come from… you won't know where you should be heading!