This $85 Hair Brush Is Worth Every Penny — Here's Why

I Recommend This $85 POC-Founded Hair Brush To Everyone — Here's Why It's Worth EVERY Penny

It replaces nearly three steps in my hair routine.

3986

- Though as a little girl, I had the silkiest, softest hair that would get compliments everywhere I went, since I turned about thirteen I've since had coarse, dry hair no amount of deep conditioning masks or sulfate-free shampoo could fix.

- I started using the Raincry's Condition Boar Bristle Brush several months ago, and while I noticed that my hair had been softer, silkier, and shinier than it had ever been, I didn't make the connection because I never thought a simple hairbrush could make any difference in my hair texture.

- I will be the first to admit that I thought it was ridiculous to spend nearly a hundred dollars on a hairbrush, but this one eliminates the need for me to use any heat tools or styling products on it.

- I put some oil or a serum in my hair when it's wet, brush my hair with the boar bristle brush once it's dry, and end up with the lowest maintenance, shiniest hair I've had since I was 8 years old.

@raincrybeauty

I've been using the off-brand hairbrush I picked up on sale at Target for years. I never really saw the point in investing in anything more and didn't think it would make any difference on my hair anyway.

As long as I had something to get the occasional knot out of my hair after washing it, I never felt the need for more. I don't have particularly tangly hair, so faced with the prospect of picking from an aisle of bristle types and shapes was daunting for me. I'd pick up the prettiest one with the most reasonable price and be on my way — till I tried the Raincry Condition Boar Bristle Brush about five months ago.

My first encounter with the brand was meeting Toronto-based founder and celebrity hairstylist (you've definitely seen his red carpet looks), Feisal Qureshi at a panel on clean beauty last year. That's when I first learned about the boar bristle hairbrush with a serious cult following.

Funny enough, the brush — handmade in France — was invented on accident. Qureshi simply wanted to make a high-quality, high-performance brush that actually added value to the hair. This one does that and so much more.

I was using this for months, and while I noticed that my hair was truly softer and shinier than it had ever been, it took me longer than it should have to put things together. I was out of town for two weeks without the Raincry hairbrush and my hair was almost immediately lackluster and dry.

How I Use It

There are two different ways I use this: after washing my hair when it's about 90 percent dry, and before bed when it's feeling a little oily.

For the latter, I wash my hair regularly and once it's about half dry, I apply a hair oil, serum, or both depending on how dry my hair is feeling. After about 10 minutes, once my hair is almost completely air-dried, I'll brush through my hair to make sure the product in it is evenly spread out.

The Results

For the first few months of using this product, this was the only way I used it — till I recognized its magic, and I started using it at night or when I needed a refresh. That's the key with this hairbrush — the unique format and handmade boar bristles are expertly crafted to distribute our natural and applied oils throughout the hair evenly.

When my hair is feeling a bit lackluster or dry, I'll brush through it about forty times (or till I get impatient) and I swear it looks like I got a salon blowout. I don't heat style my hair nearly as much as I used to — it used to be an essential in my hair routine — but on the rare occasion that I do, I'll brush this through my hair, and it won't ruin my style one bit. In fact, it refreshes it.

@raincrybeauty

Other Varieties

Though the condition brush is the one that suits me best, they also have an equally luxe, hand-painted Detangling Brush that happens to double as a great in-shower scalp massager, ideal for use on wet hair if you tend to have knottier or more coarse hair.

The line of round Smooth Brushes happens to be a favorite of Kourtney Kardashian's hairstylist, too — ideal for those with long hair who are going for a blow-dried, silky-straight look.

Conclusion

I'm the first to admit that $85 is a lot for most of us to be spending on a hairbrush. But, because I tend to hold on to my hair brushes for years and because this replaces so many steps in my typical blow dry and curling routine, it's saved me massive amounts of time and damage to my locks.

For those reasons, I'll recommend this to anyone who wants a low-maintenance solution to cut down on the time they spend on their hair, or has plenty of time but just wants the best possible solution to reviving dry, dull, lifeless hair.

Get the Raincry Condition Boar Bristle Brush from Nordstrom for $85.

Note: As a Nordstrom Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.