Fantasy Football Strategies

Fantasy Football Strategies

Everything you'll need to draft your way to that all important championship.

2
Fantasy Football Strategies
@Sports_wisdom

It's that time again. Back to school sales are happening, training camp is ending, and the NFL has returned. With the return of the NFL comes the return of fantasy football, the only role playing game socially acceptable for grown men to play.

But good feelings about fantasy football aside, I'm here to talk about draft strategies. In a season long league, championships can be won or lost right here.

Load up on Running Backs: This has been a tried and true method of many fantasy owners before I played fantasy football and will continue to be many fantasy owners go to after I am done playing. While the NFL has moved closer to throwing the ball all over the yard, the most important fantasy players will continue to be the running backs. Realistically speaking there are only about five elite running backs in the league. Chances are in a 10-team fantasy league they will be gone by the time the third round starts. If you are blessed to have a top five pick in the first round, take an elite running back that will get the ball 25 times a game, Adrian Peterson carried my team and even going into his thirties is a terrific fantasy option at the top of the draft.

Load up on Wide Receivers: This verse sounds similar to the first but not the same. While there are way more elite wide receivers in today's NFL to draft it doesn't mean their points are any less valuable. If it is possible in your draft, take the first three rounds to draft the three bestowed receivers available. Assuming you had the first pick in the draft and it's a snake draft, that would leave you with a group like Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant and Brandon Marshall. While all three guys are studs, with all of them on your team it now means you have trading leverage. If you trade away someone like Dez Bryant expect to come away with a solid quarterback/running back combination. With one trade you just turned three players into four and most likely came out better because of it.

Suspended Players Are People Too: There appears to be some real value in the bottom of the draft this year with so many big name players being suspended. If you find yourself getting into the eighth, ninth, and tenth rounds and you still can find the likes of Tom Brady, Le'veon Bell, or Josh Gordon; for the love of god take them. Just because they're suspended for the first few games of the season doesn't mean they won't be around to help out your team come playoff time.

Don't Overvalue Rookies: This one is also pretty straight forward. Not a ton of rookies produce big number their first year in the league. I realize Todd Gurley, Derek Carr, and Adrian Peterson all have something to say about that but chances are you won't find one of those guys this year. Ezekiel Elliot may look enticing behind that Dallas offensive line, but definitely don't take him with a high pick. I love Elliot as a buckeyes fan but there are at least 30 better fantasy players before him. It isn't a knock against him, there are just better options available.

And finally...

Don't Be "That Guy": That guy that misses the draft date even though it was scheduled out two weeks in advance. While autodraft does produce a decent team, it can't scan the board for value. It's one thing if you don't have access to your computer at the time of the draft, but with most drafts able to beheld on a mobile device like your smart phone there really is no excuse for missing your fantasy football draft. So please, don't be that guy. Happy Drafting Fantasy Owners.