Extending the Olive Branch

Extending the Olive Branch

Pursuing peace even with a difference of opinion.

155
Extending the Olive Branch
www.branchingoutforjesus.com

In every sphere of life that I enter into I walk a precarious line. There are certain topics I only discuss with people that believe the same things. For example, I discuss my utter disdain for the Donald Trump campaign with people that happen to agree with me. My friends that support Mr. Trump, I avoid that conversation entirely. The reason being that I know that at any point that conversation can go from one of civility to the Battle of Personal Opinions on Trump number 10,000,000.

The beauty of America is that we have been gifted by free speech. We are able to express our beliefs without the suppression of the government at least in theory. However, freedom of speech does not mean freedom of opinion. Our differences of opinion have turned friends into enemies. It has turned social media into the hotbed of polarization. My generation has a disdain for those who believe differently. I am not above this. When I hear someone say that they believe that a certain people group should be banned from the United States, or if I hear someone bashing Christianity, or even someone saying that Russell Westbrook is not a top-five player in the NBA; my first reaction is to call them an idiot, stupid, or another derogatory term that means a lack of knowledge.

These people that I disagree with aren’t just random writers or people that are far away in the annals of the Internet. These people are my friends and my family. Instead of engaging with them about our differences on life, I shut down and let them believe what they want and I believe what I want. That’s called tolerance, and tolerance doesn’t breed love. It breeds disdain. So much to the point to where we tell people "you know what we aren’t friends anymore."

There is only one way to get past this point. We have to show love and compassion for each other. Earth is our only home and God created us to have those differences of opinion. If you know a friend that believes that President Obama is one of the worst presidents ever, then talk to him about it and see where he stands but don’t walk away saying, I will never talk to him again. If you have a friend who thinks that our society should allow guns in all areas of life, don’t call her a warmonger. Understand them. Understand your own position as well. Be willing to compromise when it is necessary to compromise, but know this, when you or your friend draw that line in the sand and say I can’t agree past this then be respectful. Disagreement does not have to be a brawl.

When we have love and compassion for our fellow humans it transcends our differences. Not only that, it shows that even through disagreement on issues that I still care for you. My desire to see you succeed, my desire to see you live a truly successful life never, ever changes. My promise to my friends, my family, and my readers is that I will extend that olive branch of peace to you. Whenever you want to have a serious discussion about the issues I will do so respectfully. I promise to listen and take you seriously. If we disagree I promise to do so peacefully. For in Romans 12:18(KJV), it says “If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men (and women).” I am not writing this because I am the best at it, I am writing this because I know that I need to be better. So regardless on what we disagree let us show the love and compassion necessary to make our world a better place for all that live in it.