5 Reasons Why Every Girl Should Be A Tomboy

Being a tomboy has never felt so good.

496

The word tomboy has always been associated with young girls and women that have a passion for classically masculine activities or personality traits most commonly associated with men. To many, that definition holds true. But in today's progressive society, the classification of "tomboy" needs to be cleared of its negative connotations. Being a tomboy is no longer about looking the part; it is about using the many positive attributes of the classic tomboy stereotype to better yourself as a person. Every women should add these personality traits to their handbag and be proud to call themselves tomboys.

1. Confident in who they are and what they do

Tomboys have always stood out in the crowd for rocking the pixie-cut or standing in line for the newest Jordans. More importantly, these women stand out because they do not let the opinions of others sway their own self image. They take pride in every aspect of themselves and are not afraid to show it. In today's society, fitting into expected gender roles or female body ideals is more pressured than ever. When you find yourself doubting what you look like, or doubting who you are, take a moment to get in touch with your inner tomboy and remind yourself that there is only one of you in the entire universe. Confidently show the world who you are.

2. Adventure around every corner

Another aspect of being a tomboy that every girl should strive to have is the sense of adventure and spontaneity. The element of surprise that can spice up life and open new doors. Being adventurous leads you to experience an entirely new world! Try something new, something different, something unexpected. Road trips, camping, hiking, parties and athletics, tomboys have a go-for-it attitude--with backpack in hand.

3. Never afraid to speak their mind

More often than not, women are afraid to say what they are thinking for fear of being called overemotional or overdramatic. Women get called bossy or pushy when trying to assert their desires; when they explain how they would like a situation to play out. Using the tomboy trait of speaking your mind clearly and concisely will help you succeed in every aspect of life: better communication in relationships, more positive interactions at work, and better outcomes after an argument.

4. Let drama fall by the wayside

Being laid back is a great attribute to have. Not only will having a laissez-faire attitude de-stress your life, but it will simplify a lot of your relationships. Instead of modifying your actions unnaturally so that you will be liked, sit back, relax, and let the actions of others speak for themselves. Their actions toward you will define the quality of your relationship, which frees up your mind to focus on more time-worthy things. A tomboy at heart would be more than willing to remove herself from unnecessary altercations that could negatively affect her peace of mind.

5. Independent

Being independent does not necessarily mean you rely on no one for anything. It has a more internal, spiritual meaning. It's allowing yourself to be comfortable in your own skin, being able to find your own happiness and not having to rely on another person, or society, for validation of self. It means emotional independence and being able to express who you are at your core.

The positive, most sought after attributes of the classic tomboy stereotype are not about having the tomboy look; they are about having the tomboy state of mind: confident, free speaking, adventurous, drama-free, and strong independence. With those traits being associated with a tomboy, why wouldn’t you call yourself one?