Six Things To Embrace Your Senior Year

Six Things To Embrace Your Senior Year

Lots of Lasts!

191
Six Things To Embrace Your Senior Year
Odyssey

Finally. It's here. No more being new, being irrelevant, being overworked. We're seniors. We are embarking on an infinite amount of new journeys, and are experiencing so many things for the last time.

It's so easy to become cynical and to take for granted the next 180 days, the last time you will be at home, most unhindered by the responsibilities of the adult world. Embrace it. This is the end, and this is the beginning. Enjoy your senior year.

Without further ado, here are the most important thing to savor in your last year of high school.

1. Your First Day of School

Although getting up that first morning after three months of late-night adventures and 3 pm breakfasts in painful, you have to remember that this is our last first day of school. Sure, you'll have your first day of college classes, but that's just different. This is the last time you will sit through a full day schedule of classes, with no breaks other than a ordered lunch. It's our last 7-3 with teachers back to back, classes full of students you have known for years. This is it.

2. Your Last Homecoming Game

Whether or not you care about athletics or school spirit, this is something every senior should attend. There's nothing quite like the hometown football game, under the bright lights in the crisp autumn air. Sure, in college you will be able to attend your school's games, but there's something different about being a member of such a group for the last time.

This might be the last time you know the kids sprinting across the field, and this might be the last time you get into a game for free! The homecoming antics are something to embrace, because there's nothing quite the same.

3. Your Last Homecoming Dance

Yeah, yeah, yeah, school dances are universally terrible. Some weird DJ, SO many freshman, and just overall uncomfortable experiences. Either way, this is the last time you will be able to let lose (keeping it PG-13, of course) with the majority of your student body. Get all dolled up, gather a group of friends or go with someone special ;) to dance the night away.

Even if you don't stay the whole time, you can still say you went. The after-parties are always better anyway.

4. Your School Spirit Week

GO HAM! This is your week, You have waited four long years to dominate the other grades and win the coveted title of champions. This is your time to shine. Let loose, laugh a lot, and go all out. After all, it's your last chance for success. Even if partaking isn't your thing, cheer everyone else on. After all, it's seniors vs everybody.

5. Your Friends

High school is the most convenient place to make friends. They're close and you see them daily. Spend time with your friends. Hang out. Go out. Stay in. Laugh. Tell stories. Share deep thoughts. Make memories. There's nothing quite like high school, so you might as well have something to remember, even if the friendships don't last forever.

6. Your Prom

Go to prom. Just do it. It's the last time your grade will be together as a group, not going their separate ways like at graduation. Get dressed up. Go all out. Have no reservations. Just have fun. Dance the night away, and sleep away the next day. This is for you.

7. Graduation

Obviously you gotta do graduation! You've made it this far after all. It seems counter-intuitive to go through all that work then not go see yourself get recognized for it. Plus, graduation is the END. The actual, real end. After that, you are alumni. You are college freshman, back at the bottom of the totem pole.

So yeah, senior year is a lot. But it can also be a lot of fun, so go out and enjoy it while it lasts. Don't get too cynical, but remember, there's nothing wrong with counting down the days til youare official D-O-N-E.