3 Things I Wish The Dual Enrollment Program Told Me About Life After High School

My dual enrollment degree didn't come with side effects, but it should've.

790
Haley Tompkins

They don't tell you when you sign up to take dual enrollment classes or apply to dual enrollment programs what having two years of college done will greatly impact your college experience. I don't regret having done what I did, I just wished someone sat down with me and told me how immersing yourself in college after the fact would be difficult ahead.

There is no sort of guidance form high school counselors or freshman advising or college advising that help you realize and understand how your college experience will be different from those around you.

1. I wish they told me how finding your friend zone will be hard.

When you go to college as a junior there are no clubs for juniors to get involved. There are not study groups for Juniors. There are not Junior mingle nights. There is not one thing on college campuses in support for transferring upperclassmen. You get thrown into classes with people aged 20 and up. Here you are barely 18 and just allowed to vote now. These are people who have already made their mistakes in high school. They are getting engaged, living with boyfriends, or even have kids.

Once they know you just graduated high school, they isolate you. They text each other and have each other on social media. They hang out outside of classes. Then there is you. You spend hours alone in your dorm (where most of them no longer live in dorms because that's a first and second year thing) and do homework and binge on tv. They don't tell you socially how hard it will be when you start school two years ahead of everyone your age.

2. I wish they told me about the leadership opportunities I would miss.

When I joined a sorority I did partially in hopes of making up for the suffering social aspect of being ahead, but also to give me leadership opportunities. I have one semester to be acclimated in my sorority to take my one and only shot to sign up for the executive board. And I didn't. I didn't take the opportunity because I didn't feel having only been in the sorority barely for three months to lead a group of 130 women.

There is not enough time being on campus for two years to make a presence on campus to run for student government. There isn't enough time to join an honor society and lead them either. Essentially there is not enough time to gain leadership roles because you do not have a presence on campus.

3. I wish they told me how difficult it would be to identify my place at the University.

When you start college as a freshman, the school labels you as an FTIC (First Time In College). This means you are required to go to freshman advising your first year in both semesters. It means when you live on campus there are limited dining plans you can choose from. It is a way for the school to identify your place in the school body.

When people would ask me what year I was in I would get confused on what to tell them because my University labeled me as an FTIC, but by credit, I was a junior. Even during recruitment the program they used labeled me as a freshman, but when I would talk to women I would have to explain my situation. There was a blur of where I was supposed to belong based on my age and year.

I would never discourage anyone away from dual enrolment. It was one of the best things that happened to me. I saved over $40,000 on in-state tuition and I am one step closer to becoming a teacher. I just wish schools would offer more guidance to students on what that program will look like after college and provide the support they need to see that vision.