The Dos And Don'ts Of Study Breaks

The Dos And Don'ts Of Study Breaks

What to do and not to do when you need sometime to relax from studying for your finals.

82
The Dos And Don'ts Of Study Breaks

Finals are here and our school is undoubtedly filled with an immense amount of stress and worry. Yes, getting good grades is important, but so is taking care of yourself. No matter how many formulas you have to memorize or words you have to write, it’s also good to take a break. Here's a list of some study break do’s and don'ts to keep you on track and ready to learn more.

When taking a video break...
Do: Watch a 20 minute show
After a couple of hours of studying, watching one episode of a short show is a quick way to relax your mind. Plus, it gives you an incentive to work faster to watch the next episode and find out what happens next!

Don’t: Watch YouTube Videos

Maybe it's just me, but telling myself to watch only one youtube video then proceeding to watch twenty is a recurring them in my life. Don't fall into the trap.

When taking a snack break...

Do: Keep it healthy
Don't get me wrong, I'm all about Oreos and ramen, but when it comes to doing what's best for your brain, there are certain foods that provide the nutrients needed to boost your brainpower. Get snacks like cereal, broccoli, tomatoes, avocados, nuts, dark chocolate and blueberries.

Don’t: Eat heavy
Studies show that fried foods and foods with a high amount of saturated fat, refined carbohydrates, added sugar, and trans fats can not only slow down your brain function, but interfere with your ability to retain information. Say goodbye to SloDo Co., cheese, popcorn, fruit juice, and every other food that makes life worth living.

When taking an art break...
Do: Paint, sketch, color, etc. for fun
Although drawing stick figures is the height of my artistic abilities, it's no doubt that letting your creative juices flow is a sure way to unwind. Take 15 minutes to start a new small piece of art or continue to work on a bigger project. It's a way to soothe yourself and feel productive at the same time.

Don't: Be a perfectionist
If you're like me, you won't stop erasing and retracing until whatever you put on paper is exactly what you pictured. DON'T DO THIS. This art won't be turned in or judged by anyone by yourself, so just have fun and play around. If you focus too much on making it perfect, you'll be spending so much time and effort that it won't be much of a break at all.

When taking a body break...
Do: Exercise and stretch
Staying in the same position for a long period of time calls for some stretching and exercising. Get your blood flowing, your body reenergized, and get moving. Do a Blogilates routine or go for a run around your area.

Don't: Take naps
Lying or sitting down is a big risk. Chances are you're exhausted, but if you need to keep going, taking a nap is not the way to go. Even with alarms, knowing how long you will actually be asleep is difficult. Even worse is waking up, groggy and unfocused.

When you're trying to stay awake...
Do: Drink tea, coffee, and/or cold water
A standard amount of caffeine undeniably does the job of keeping your eyes wide open without being detrimental to your health. If tea and coffee aren't your thing, drinking cold water will make you more alert. Just remember to keep hydrated, dehydration can increase the feeling of tiredness.

Don’t: Drink energy drinks
Consumption of energy drinks can lead to a various amount of side effects such as palpitations, tremors, insomnia, and headaches.

Good luck to everyone on your finals and remember to take a break every once in awhile!