To Those Who Don't Want To Shout Their Abortion
Politics

It's OK.

20
Gazeta.PL Wiadomosci

I'm going to do something that I really don't want to do in order to say something that absolutely needs to be said.

This is me, shouting my abortion.

Normally, the declaration of #ShoutYourAbortion is followed with reasons X, Y and Z as to why the individual doesn't regret their abortion. While I don't necessarily regret mine, I don't feel too great about it either—and that's OK.

Oftentimes, I get uncomfortable and stressed while reading pieces on abortion because they rarely address my feelings on the matter—feelings that a lot of women have but don't discuss because, well, we don't want to talk about it. I'm left feeling like there's something wrong with me, like I'm not strong or brave enough like these other women who can be open about their abortions. I feel like a bad woman because I'm too nervous to add to the dialogue.

If you can't shout your abortion, I'm talking to you.

It's OK to not shout your abortion. You're not weak for regretting your abortion, or for feeling sad about it. You're not weak for not wanting to talk about it, or for never wanting to. You're not weak for being unable to talk about it, or never being able to. You're not weak whether one or all of these statements apply to you. You are strong, because for whatever your reason may be, you endured one of the most difficult things someone can go through. Do not feel like the only way to be a strong woman (or man or individual) is to shout your abortion. You are so incredibly strong already and you don't need to do anything else.

To the women who do shout their abortions, though—thank you. Thank you for being my voice when I can't, and thank you for fighting for my right to choose.

To the people who say I'm a better woman because I feel some remorse for my abortion—I invite you to visit me in New York so you can catch these hands.