Do Not Neglect Your Mental Health

Do Not Neglect Your Mental Health

Here's what you can do about it.

112
Do Not Neglect Your Mental Health
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/03/22/636573535267190391-2075527596_IMG_9955.jpg

Our mental health is so important and we (as a society) often neglect it, especially when you’re in school or any form of high stress activity. From pushing ourselves too hard to succeed in school or at work, or maybe overdoing it in our social lives and not recognizing our boundaries, we are all at risk of neglecting the well-being of our mental health.

Our mental health can mess with all aspects of our lives – physical, spiritual, emotional, etc. While everybody’s mental health looks different, just like everyone’s physical health is different, recognizing what your own mental health should be like is a personal journey that I would encourage everyone to explore further.

While I am not a mental health expert in any way, shape, or form. I have had my own personal battle with mental health issues which has inspired this article. The following is personal knowledge that I would love to share. Here are 5 signs that you are neglecting your mental health and 5 ways to combat these signs.

1.Sleeping disruption

Sleeping too little or too much is a big red flag that something could be going on with your mental health.

2.Irritable

Sure, we all get grouchy from time to time, but if you notice that you are constantly more grouchy than normal, it may be something worth looking into.

3.Lack of motivation

If you find yourself unable to finish a task, something may be to blame.

4.Social isolation

Isolating yourself from friends, family, peers, etc, is another big sign that your mental health is getting out of wack, especially if you’re typically an extrovert.

5.Changes in appetite

If you notice you’re eating more or less than normal, you might want to evaluate if it could be related to your mental health or something else going on in your life.

To combat these signs, try the following:

1.Exercise

I know, I know, I sound so cliché, but seriously guys, it helps. It doesn’t have to be an intense workout at the gym – go to a yoga or spin class. Take a break from whatever is holding you down!

2. Put on some real clothes

I know this sounds like a bratty thing to say, but just showering and putting on some real clothes (not leggings and a t-shirt) can have profound impact on your motivation for the day.

3. Treat yo' self

Do something that you’ve been wanting to do for awhile but haven’t made time for – a bubble bath, buy a new book, new shoes – whatever it is that makes your heart happy, do that.

4. Meditate

I know this is another cheesy-sounding thing to ask you to do, but I promise it helps. Try apps like headspace – and it only has to be for like 5 minutes at a time guys!

5. Reach out to a friend

Talking to someone can make all the difference – regardless if you talk to them about what is directly bothering you or just catching up, friends can really turn our moods around.

Again friends, I just want to reintegrate that I am not in any way a mental health expert. These signs and tips are things that work for me and they may not work for everyone. However, if you’re ever feeling alone or like you need to talk, don’t be afraid to schedule an appointment with a counseling or physiatrist service – or call the national suicide hotline if need be – 1-800-273-8255.