Don't Hide Your Body: Enough With Body Shaming

Your body is part of who you are, don't hide it for someone else.

460
New York Daily News

It's summer, also known as the season of body shaming. As a plus-sized woman, I've dealt with my fair share of body shaming in the summer. Everyone deals with it at some point. In the summer, plus-sized women are subject to a higher level of body-shaming because their bodies aren't considered beautiful enough to wear shorts, skirts, etc. I've been told I can't wear a bikini because I'm too fat, or I just don't have a "bikini body." Well, let me just say to anyone who has been told to hide their bodies, this is for you.

I will not hide my body. My body is part of who I am. I have grown to love and appreciate every curve, every scar, stretch mark--just all of it. It has taken years for me to be able to do so, and so therefore, I will wear what I want, whenever I want.

Let me say something: If it's comfortable, I will wear it. I'll repeat it: If it's comfortable, then wear it! Don't hide your body away, no matter what size you are, comfort is always the best option. Would you rather be wearing jeans and a long-sleeved shirt that you don't feel comfortable in at all because it's way too hot, or would you rather wear a dress and be cool and comfy?

Ah, bikinis. Don't you just love the pressure put on us by society that a bikini body means you have to be thin with no trace of fat (even though there is nothing wrong with those who are thin!)? Everybody is a bikini body. Don't let someone shame you out of wearing a bikini, or any bathing suit, that you feel comfortable in.

This goes to all the guys out there too. Body positivity isn't portrayed enough for you guys. You don't need to hide your bodies either.

Don't hide your body. Do not hide it for anyone. Remember that someone else's opinion of you is irrelevant.Be yourself. Love your body, it's the only one you have.