Don't Feel Like You Have To Rush

Don't Feel Like You Have To Rush

Enjoy the moment you're in - you have the rest of your life to get where you're going.

166
Don't Feel Like You Have To Rush
Christian Fregnan

I sat across from my best friend a few weeks ago as we talked about our futures and all that we hoped they would hold. We talked about our boyfriends who would someday become our husbands, our college careers, and where we want to raise our families.

I remember talking to her about the same things while we were in high school and feeling like they were still so far out of reach. It felt like a lifetime would pass before those those would become attainable.

Now, only a few years later, these things feel so close. It feels as if life is rapidly approaching, and there’s nothing I can do to slow it down.

Yet in the midst of it all, we realized that we need to enjoy the seasons we’re in. We need to enjoy the time we have in college. We have the rest of our lives to do all of the “grown up” things. It’s inevitable. Why are we in such a rush?

SEE ALSO: Approaching The Silence In The Snow

I always hear people make comments such as “Don’t grow up - it’s a trap,” or “I wish I hadn’t spent my entire childhood wishing I was grown.” The truth is, we still do that every day.

It’s hard not to. I do it myself. I’m constantly looking ahead. I spend a majority of my time planning my future.

I’ll finish my bachelor’s degree. I’ll get married. I’ll get my master’s. I’ll move into a cute little house with my husband and fill it with little kiddos. I’ll open my own private practice, and heck, maybe even write a book someday.

That’s always how I picture my future, yet I know that there will always be curveballs thrown in. I know that I’m not even promised tomorrow. Yet I continue to rush toward my future.

I spend so much time trying to ensure that my future is in order that I almost never slow down and realize how beautiful my life is at this exact moment. I get so busy and disoriented, never stopping to acknowledge some of the simpler things in life. Like how I’ll never be as young as I am in this very moment, or how my metabolism will probably never be as good as it is at age eighteen.

Being in college is such a weird place to be. You’re still finding out who you are, you’re eager to start your career and start paying off those student loans, and you want nothing more than to settle down with the love of your life. I get it. Trust me, I do.

The season that God has placed you in is SO special, and it’s a necessary step in order for us to get where we need to go. I know it’s easy to fall into a habit of constantly looking for what’s next, but God has us exactly where He wants us.

Enjoy the moments that are right in front of you. Be present. Trust the process. Appreciate the season you’re in. Slow down and have faith in God’s timing - it'll all work out when it's supposed to.